My first handled knife

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Just thought I'd post these photo's of my first attempt at finishing and handling a working knife. I have since sold this on but still have the photo's for my appreciation.

For the handle I've used Dymondwood (lovely finish but damn hard to work with) with simple brass pin fixings.

The blade was 4 inches from bolster line to tip and I purchased it off of BB in an almost complete state, it just needed the edge re-trimming as it wasn't quite to my taste.

NewImage.jpg

Construction Stage

2009_0320photos0004.jpg

Finished Stage

2009_0320photos0002.jpg

Patriotic Sheath Work

I deliberatley did not put any exterior finish on the wood as it is resin impregnanted so doesn't need it. Very hard wearing and the blade is very very sharp.

Let me know what you think (and I appreciate the sheath isn't to everyone's taste)

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I like dymondwood, nice one! That sheath is something else, how long did that take you?

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
In terms of making the handle scales and finishing them it took me about 3 days of solid work. Both of the scales were cut by hand using a coping saw and the holes were marked and drilled. Then I spent a lot of time sanding and contouring the shape so it sat nicely in hand when holding it. The sheath took me the best part of a day to make. Nothing really fancy just some good leather and stitching. All in all with the little bit of blade work I did I spent the best part of 4 days solid working on this.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE