My First Efforts (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
hi all, i've been dabbling this week with my new leatherworking tools and made a replacement axe head cover and a left handed sheath for my new SWC knife.
DSC00127.jpg

knife and firesteel fitted.
DSC00130.jpg

gratuitous shot of my new blade alongside the sheath!
DSC00133.jpg

side shot of the sheath, note i have made the belt loop larger to accommodate a plce working belt.
DSC00132.jpg

axe cover fastened with a spare nexus quick release clip i had lying around.
DSC00131.jpg

other side with slightly wonky stitching!

both items were finished with nikwax leather proof after the edge kote and dye had dried overnight.

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
cheers for the comments lads, this week definitely has been a steep learning curve!
my hands look like i've been working in a fake tan salon and i've lost a bit of skin on my fingers from tightening the thread on the stitching lol
maybe in the future i'll invest in a few more finishing tools, stamps etc so i can add a few border lines and maybe my initials on the back. i've got plenty of off cuts to practice on before i go ahead and ruin a few hours work.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Very Impressive. How did you find the sheath fit? Was it a nice 'tight' friction fit compared to the commercially available models like the Woodlore sheath?

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
yep it is a really tight fit. when i first fitted the knife it took a bit of effort to get the thing back out lol but after a bit of the old 'in out, in out' the knife slides in lovely and you can hear the leather creaking as the handle rubs up against it.

edit : my god this post wouldnt look out of place in a carry on film. double entendre ahoy!!!!

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
Nice Finish....looks V good

yes my knife is also fed up of being carried backwards....it gets motion sick.

lol what it turns a horrible patina and refuses to cut in a straight line!
as regards to the finish i went for the nikwax after using febrings resolene finish on a scrap piece of leather and to be honest it looked bloody awful. the instructions tell you to apply with a moist sponge, but all i found was it left it looking like i'd slapped on a load of varnish with a paint brush :s

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE