My first bushcraft knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hatchet

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2012
New Zealand
Hello everyone,

I plan to get my first real bushcraft knife soon, so I've been doing heaps of research on different knife types and grinds.
Just about everyone recommends a Mora as a first bushcraft knife, but I'm really not sure about them. They're only 3/4 tang, and I really don't like the plastic handle, or the blade shape. But it feels like I'm breaking a rule or something by not getting one!

I've come across the Condor bushlore mini knife, which I like, but there are hardly any reviews on it. If anyone owns one, or has used one, your opinion on them would be appreciated.:)

If anyone has any recommendations for a good first bushcraft knife, please share!

Thanks,:D

Hatchet.

outdoord

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
United Kingdom
I got the Mora as a first knife, not because i did not have the money or i liked it- i thought it was horrid. but its a good blade that i can use to learn how to sharpen, practice knife safety and knife maintenance on but not worry about messing up because even if i do, its £10 lost.
I have had the mora for a few weeks now and am happy and comfortable so I have upgraded my knife.. but to be honest the upgrade was just do it was more aesthetically pleasing, the mora besides from its looks is a strong and great blade.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I say buy the knife that makes you happy mate :) if you don't like plastic handles then don't get one with a plastic handle . At the end of the day you will learn to use whatever knife you have

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
A enzo trapper iv just got one in a trade its a great knife was gonna move it on but it's just nice and a good thick sheath give it a Google.... giag mite catch on

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
If you do find a friend who will lend you a knife, try these two highly entertaining lines on said friend:

"Here I sharpened your knife, I think I need more practice though"
"I was cutting some wood and hit a nail"

TheCricket

Banned
Jul 5, 2012
Newcastle Upon Tyne
If you do find a friend who will lend you a knife, try these two highly entertaining lines on said friend:

"Here I sharpened your knife, I think I need more practice though"
"I was cutting some wood and hit a nail"

There's always the old, I tried to carve a spear head out of this flat stone I found, turns out rock is pretty rugged!!

Hatchet

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2012
New Zealand
I ordered the Condor! I know that Mora's are really good knives and all, but I really like the Condor!
Thanks for all your help in choosing a knife!:)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE