My first bow finnished(ish)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikethescout

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2009
swindon
hey all,

here is my first bow made from ash. its suppose to be a flat bow...
DSCF2165.jpg

its not quite finnished yet, i am still to sand it, which i am dreading :( )

DSCF2166.jpg

so what do you think??

next i want to have a go at a tradional english longbow..

mikethescout

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2009
swindon
how do i work that out?? hang weights off it til it reaches 28"?

im new to this whole bow making thing so dont know how to do the technical stuff ;)

Cant see the pictures due to the works network, but I have fancied having a go at this myself, trouble is I got to find ash first (the three ash trees I do know sit on a burial mound - bit superstitious about touching them :p ), also is there a good tutorial anywhere for making your own?

My main concern is when it comes to bending it gradually, my mate hadc a good and I think it snapped his after many hours of getting it to the right shape.

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Nice work! That's damn good for a first. Only the elite few make a shooter first time out and most of these come in at about 20lb, I know mine did at least.

I'm a novice too but if I could suggest one thing, the back of your bow seems to have tool marks on it, looks like you've decrowned a big sapling or flatened a stave out with a plane or something. I think you want to smooth that down and stick a couple of layers of silk or linen on the back. The back should be one intact ring, or I've heard your bow can break on the draw. Just saying that for safety's sake. Cool bow!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE