my first bash at forging a knife update 4 finished

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kristophish

Native
Mar 17, 2012
nuneaton
forged out of 13mm 01 round bar

cleaned up and lighty ground

ill keep you posted on the rest of the build

Last edited:

danny358

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2011
bolton
great work. i would love to try this. what are you burning is it coke. or do you use something else? also do you need to pump air in with a bellow to get it hot enough? if you know of any links of how to set up a home made forge i would love to see them thanks.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
That looks great, nice work there. Although as others have said, the forge looks a little unstable haha! What are you using for bellows?

kristophish

Native
Mar 17, 2012
nuneaton
great work. i would love to try this. what are you burning is it coke. or do you use something else? also do you need to pump air in with a bellow to get it hot enough? if you know of any links of how to set up a home made forge i would love to see them thanks.

cheers dude I used house coal. ill get some pics of the forge up for u. theres loads of ways to make one, most simplw being hole in the ground with some pipe to blow air under the fire. although at first I just used my bbq and blew the hairdryer ontop.

hundreds of vids on youtube

kristophish

Native
Mar 17, 2012
nuneaton
today ive lengthend the tang a bit put my mark on, normalized 3 times.hardened, tempered cleaned up and done the brass rod test. all is going well

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's looking very fine, especially for a first go; you've obviously got a feel for this..................what's the brass rod test, I've never heard of that one?

kristophish

Native
Mar 17, 2012
nuneaton
That's looking very fine, especially for a first go; you've obviously got a feel for this..................what's the brass rod test, I've never heard of that one?

thanks very much. its at test to check the edge retention on the blade. in essence you run the edge on some brass rod if the edge rolls out of shape its too soft if it chips its too hard.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE