My first axe.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I have just spent an awesome weekend in the workshop of Dave Budd in Devon , learning how to forge an axe.
Great Christmas present from swmbo.
Dave was extremely patient and a wonderful teacher.Almost worth the money just to watch him forge the axe!
However after many twists and turns , although thankfully only one little burn , I managed to forge out my own
little carving axe head.
We then carved nice ash hafts from Dave's woodland and fitted them to the heads.A weekend very well spent as
the axe I made has to be worth a fiver of anyone's money!The pictures below show my axe and the one Dave made
to demonstrate the techniques.If you struggle to tell which is which mine is the one with the more Baroque feel to it
whereas Dave's is more Puritan in appearance.His is also the one with the perfectly forged head.
Enjoy! Comment if you like , criticise if you must (but only Dave's)
Thanks Dave for an inspiring and steep learning curve this weekend ; I loved every minute.
Cheers , Simon
http://s1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/plastic-ninja/Axe - forging with DB/

Last edited:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Dannytsg I'd love to do something like this but finding the time would be my problem.[/QUOTE said:
Don't wait till you have the time or you will never do it.
Get it booked and then you will HAVE to make time for it like I did.
I was way out of my comfort zone doing this and my arm's still aching from the exercise!! but loved it..
Cheers , Simon

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Did you make all of these ? if so top work
DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0103.jpg

DSC_0102.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

DSC_0100.jpg

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Alas no.
Mine is the one with the pale curvy haft.
The burned one is Dave's axe which is infinitely better in almost every way!
Simon

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Very nicely done indeed ,I bet you using that axe will be better than using any axe you will ever buy, just because it was made by your own hand goodjob

Jason

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
Great work, but I have to say that I prefer the one with the paler haft, the bearded head looks like a really useful shape.

That's not to say that the other one isn't excellent in every - just in case I need to consult Mr Budd regarding a new axe, you understand...

A cracking weekend, I bet!

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Great work, but I have to say that I prefer the one with the paler haft, the bearded head looks like a really useful shape.
The photos make it look much better than it is I think.More unshaven than bearded really.
I hope it will be good for carving , it is very sharp.I love the handle shape too.
Cheers , Simon

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Glad you enjoyed yourself Simon :) You did a great job on your slightly beardy chopper!

The metal (and wood for that matter) may have taken some interesting shapes along the way, but they turned out pretty nicely in the end :)

A made a sheath up for mine today.
ninja.jpg

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Mine is wrapped up warm in chamois & a bit of 5mm leather over the edge whilst I
think up a mask for it. I have some small rare earth magnets so may use one of those
as a fastener. I have roughed out a birch spoon with it tonight. Worked perfectly.
Cheers , Simon

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Looks good. Would love to have ago myself. Enjoy using it, I'm sure you will. Kit you make yourself is so much more pleasing.

Last edited:

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Great work on that I love it. I am sure you had a great time being being taught by Dave I know I did. I would ove to have a go at this myself.

PS to post pictures you need to copy and paste the IMG code from photobucket mate.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE