My first attempts at knifemaking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Here are a few pics of my (growing) collection of knives that I have made.
Id appreciate comments or feedback.

P1010002.jpg

First attempt was handling a Kay Vistrom scandi blade. Handle is reindeer horn and curly birch with brass and fibre spacers, the handle shape just evolved as it went but its mega comfy to use,

P1010012.jpg

P1010015.jpg

Next up is a neck knife loosely based on a Gene Ingram Wharncliffe that I saw. 01 tool steel with english briar handle hardened to around RC58 it's 10cm long o/a but quite comfortable to use - in fact i cut & trimmed all the leather for the sheath with it.

P1010004.jpg

My latest is a woodlore copy with matching firesteel and awl. Again 01 steel with english briar handle hardened to RC57-8. The awl is based on the type of tool that RM used to make the birch bark canoe from a piece of 6.5mm round mild steel bar heated to bright red and oil quenched tempered to around RC56 but im not too sure.

P1010005.jpg

P1010007.jpg

P1010011.jpg

I plan to make another woodlore copy with staghorn handle and a scandi with a through tang next.

Please feel free to critique.

Nick

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Very nice work, puts my first attempts to shame. And my second, third and fourths too! If the awl was mild steel you can't heat treat it (only works for high cabon steels). Should still work, just may need regular sharpening.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Nothing to be moan about there! all very nice your sheaths are really good too! mine are pants

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Snufkin said:
If the awl was mild steel you can't heat treat it (only works for high cabon steels). Should still work, just may need regular sharpening.

Yeah I really suspected as much but thought it was worth a try anyway just to keep the edge as long as poss. Its only really intended for green woodworking, ie birch bark containers etc and the occasional bird snare.

Nick

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Shinken said:
Nothing to be moan about there! all very nice your sheaths are really good too! mine are pants
Thanks shinken - ive actually been working leather far longer that metal - this is fairly new ground to me

Nick

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Thanks every body for the engoraging comments - I feel a lot better about my attempts rhan before

Cheers

Nick

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
You've got a good eye Nick. I like the way the handles flow into one another when in their sheath and I like the colour of the wood too. V nice.
ATB, Swyn.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Where did you get the english briar from? I quite fancy some of that myself.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Tor helge said:
Those are just beautiful. Very good work :You_Rock_ .
I must say I think they are a tad too shiny, but that`s just my opinion.

Tor

I know what you mean - when I was doing the woodlore copy I kept finishing the handle shiny, then taking it off with steel wool, then putting it back again - the missis told me to leave it shiny in the end. It does bring out the grain better. It is birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil which is designed for rifle stocks, goes on a dream with a soft rag and really hardens well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE