My first attempts at a few bits

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
hi all, i thought i would post a few pics of the spoons and sheath i have made in the last few days.
the two spoons with the engraving are for my sons and the lollipop stick looking one on the right is my own 'racing spoon'.
the reason i made the sheath was because i am left handed and my EKA W11 only comes in a right handed sheath. so being the cheapskate that i am i made a simple sheath from a spare cargo strap i had lying around.
DSC00083-1.jpg

DSC00084.jpg

DSC00085.jpg

DSC00086.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice work,

I really like the shape of the middle one, nice to stir and eat with by the looks. Also the litle pyrographed triskle type design on it is sweetly done.

TTFN
Goatboy.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nicely done fella, lovely job on the spoons.

I'm liking the little carvings folk are adding at the moment, just finishes things of nicely.

Might be an idea put a slip of leather inside that sheath to add a bit of protection, maybe an old shoe tongue might work ?

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
yeah just standard rivets with washers on the back to stop them pulling through. i ground off the excess metal from the washers sticking out of the sides so from the front it looked more or less uniform.
i forgot how hot metal gets when you grind it and i ended up slightly scorching the sheath on the back lol
i considered using something to protect the blade from the rivets but i found the canvas was bound so tight by the rivet/washer combination that no metal comes into contact with the cutting edge.
cheers for the positive comments lads, after reading through the how to articles on the 'jon's bushcraft' website my next project is going to be a kuksa ;)

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
The middle one is my favourite, lovely work you must be very pleased. The knife looks good as well where did you get that from?

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
i've just finished the small feeding spoon for my youngest who will be 1 next month. i have also put the finishing touches to the racing spoon.
DSC00087.jpg

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Can't beat a bit of spoon whittling. I'll be taking my spoon kit out on hols with me next week. At the moment I seem obsessed with making walking sticks for some reason!

Nice drop of burning or engraving to boot.

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
. At the moment I seem obsessed with making walking sticks for some reason!

Nice drop of burning or engraving to boot.

yeah i got a few hazel sticks seasoning in the loft too. missus gets the right hump everytime i walk in from playing airsoft with my gunbag in one hand and a few sticks/lumps of wood in the other lol

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Nice spoons, I like the design on that middle one in the first picture, reminds me of led zeppelin... (Though I know it's not their original design) One question though, what's a racing spoon? Does it have something to do with eggs?

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
One question though, what's a racing spoon? Does it have something to do with eggs?
lol i knew someone would ask! ok here goes, a racing spoon is the knickname given by british soldiers to a spoon that is carried on their person whilst on exercise/deployment to eat ration pack food.
there is no set standard to what it could be but 'allyness' (military fashion/cool) is paramount.
top examples of an 'ally' racing spoon include one of your mums prize wooden spoons liberated from the kitchen chopped in half with a paracord lanyard attached, the plastic spoon from american MRE, the list goes on!
a complete description of ally and allyness can be found on these two links,
http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Ally
http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Allyness
an interesting way of looking at it in bushcraft terms is some people will buy absolutely everything and do anything that is seen to be done by Ray Mears, if Ray turned round and said the guts of an orangutan were great for making cordage and a bra and knickers were perfect jungle clothing you can bet that people would do it to enhance their own level of 'Mearness'.
i am not immune to this as i recently purchased an aussie hootchie lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE