My experimental hammock set up. (picture heavy)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
First came the idea...
With the blue whoopies I can adjust ground clearance, head height and foot height (compensating with the red whoopie)
With the green whoopies I can choose where between the trees I want to be situated (avoiding a puddle, clump of thistles etc. Theoretically I don't need to be in the centre with a SRL)
With the red whoopie I can adjust the hang of the hammock (using the green & blue whoopies to compensate)
hanging%20system.png

then came the controversy...
Not sure the short adjustable lengths attached to the ends of the hammocks but before the ridgeline are needed. Surely with the minimum bury length required for the whoopieslings must make the minimum tree distance larger, and mean you have to place your straps higher to achieve the same angles a shorter oal hammock.

I'm with HB on the small whoopies, I think you've found a solution for a problem that doesn't really exist.

I appreciate what your trying to achieve, but looks too complicated to me

Now, one man, alone (apart from his dad who had come along for the walk) in the wilderness (somewhere near York) braves the elements (light drizzle with the odd gust of wind) to bring you....

The ultimate mega super fantastic uber hammock hanging solution!

In all seriousness I was very happy, still a few things to iron out but it started to rain quite heavily and I hadn't brought the tarp along so we beat a retreat. It pitched very quickly and was really easy to adjust which in fairness is the main thing I'm going for. I also wanted plenty of clearance between hammock and ridge line so I can also use it for the tarp. And it also needed to be very adjustable. This rig (in my opinion) satisfies all those requirements.

The main fly in the ointment was the trees bent in by a good 2-4 inches each side - substantially lowering the hammock. So for smaller trees I'd have to hang slightly higher. Also the hang was to baggy for me - I've adjusted for this but I'm guessing this is something I'll tweak over time.

Getting the whoopies extra tight was an issue too - but I have plans for the next try out to aid me in that department. Oh and I ditched the soft shackles in favour of Maillons as I like being able to add stuff to em whilst under tension.

IMAG0208.jpg

IMAG0211.jpg

IMAG0215.jpg

IMAG0217.jpg

IMAG0218.jpg

IMAG0219.jpg

IMAG0220.jpg

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice one Mike, looks the mutts mate

I think I'd add a couple of prussiks to the SRL and then use a couple of mini crabs to hook the net onto. The Alpkit minis would work well for this.

Do you think you'll keep the adjustable SRL or will you fix it at a length which is most comfortable ?

Does the added length (because of the bury) of the "blue" whoopie mean you have "issues" getting enough height on the tree straps ?

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Nice one Mike, looks the mutts mate

I think I'd add a couple of prussiks to the SRL and then use a couple if mini crabs to hook the net onto.

Do you think you'll keep the adjustable SRL or will you fix it at a length which is most comfortable ?

Does the added length (because of the bury) of the "blue" whoopie mean you have "issues" getting enough height on the tree straps ?

I'm definitely going to fix the SRL when I find a comfy length - just sew it in place with some cotton I think. The prussiks are a good idea for the mozi net. Next time I'd pitch about half a foot higher but with maillons acting as dutch clips on my tree huggers that's dead easy. It doesn't look it, but occupied I was a foot off the ground.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Nice one Mike, good to see your journey with setting up your hammock.

Try to find some hefty trees to set up on, spindly trees make setting up much harder when your trying to get everything adjusted right.

Nice work on the whoopies, thats a seriously adjustable bed :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm definitely going to fix the SRL when I find a comfy length - just sew it in place with some cotton I think. The prussiks are a good idea for the mozi net. Next time I'd pitch about half a foot higher but with maillons acting as dutch clips on my tree huggers that's dead easy. It doesn't look it, but occupied I was a foot off the ground.

Just looking at that net again in piccy 6, it might be an idea to use a length of shockcord on the net tie outs to save ripping the loops out, if you go for the prussiks that is.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Looks good, what was your previous method of hangin? Do you feel there is a difference in the way you lay in the hammock now?
if so, whats different?

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Looks good, what was your previous method of hangin? Do you feel there is a difference in the way you lay in the hammock now?
if so, whats different?

Prior to this, I just had the supplied DD webbing up to Caribs on my tree huggers. The aim is to find the comfiest hang and then lock it in - so subsequently whenever I set up I'll always have the right angles. I could've done this with a standard end to end SRL however I wanted more headroom. I had to make the SRL adjustable, which meant the ends of the ridglines also had to be adjustable to compensate. Then I added whoopies from the hammock ends to the main length of the SRL. This allows me to finetune head and foot height but in the main gives me the head clearance I wanted.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Was it easy enough to adjust the "blue" whoopie with a small fixed eye after having some tension on it ?

The blues were the easiest to adjust as (after a quick swap around so it is now possible) I can unclip the hammock from the maillons until the ridge is tight then clip these back on, the beads also help a lot. Shouldering the hammock then gives you tons of slack to adjust them. It's the ridgeline I found hard to get really tight - the whoopies started working against me. Next time I think I'll use I bit of paracord to help free up the slack, tighten it all up then remove the paracord.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Prior to this, I just had the supplied DD webbing up to Caribs on my tree huggers. The aim is to find the comfiest hang and then lock it in - so subsequently whenever I set up I'll always have the right angles. I could've done this with a standard end to end SRL however I wanted more headroom. I had to make the SRL adjustable, which meant the ends of the ridglines also had to be adjustable to compensate. Then I added whoopies from the hammock ends to the main length of the SRL. This allows me to finetune head and foot height but in the main gives me the head clearance I wanted.

I think looking at your set up in pic's, think mine is done the same or similar in principle. (I dont have bug net made yet I'l dig out a pic tonight after work). then i'l take a closer look. it may be I'm just still asleep. lol

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
I think looking at your set up in pic's, think mine is done the same or similar in principle. (I dont have bug net made yet I'l dig out a pic tonight after work). then i'l take a closer look. it may be I'm just still asleep. lol

No, I was still asleep, yours is a tight ridge line hammock suspennded below.
I wonder if any of the Math geniuses would know how much strain your ridge line is under using this system?

Mine is angle of the dangle is given when I hang the tree huggers high enough and tension is put into my ridge line then I slacken off a little. My ridgeline is fixed to a loop from the whipped end, passes through the other end and back on its self to a taught line hitch but not under structual tension, when I lay in my hammock the ridge line is not like a bow string.
The only photo showing it with any clarity is with my son in it. (my side of hammock also have adjustable shock cord elastic in to allow for more or less sag on the sides.
DSC00195.jpg

Last edited:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
No, I was still asleep, yours is a tight ridge line hammock suspennded below.
I wonder if any of the Math geniuses would know how much strain your ridge line is under using this system?

Mine is angle of the dangle is given when I hang the tree huggers high enough and tension is put into my ridge line then I slacken off a little.

My system allows you to work it either way, but in order to work like yours the tree huggers need to go higher up on the tree. I can't remember my static forces from uni, but I had another play and got an almost horizontal ridgeline and everything seem to hold OK - I'm hoping something would slip before anything failed.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Here the set up at the flattest (and therefore shortest minimum tree distance/longest SRL) I'd possibly want to have it (25 degrees). In reality I'd have a bit more sag but good to know the limitations.

IMAG0222%2Bcopy.jpg

I took me more time to get the figgin snakeskin off then it did to get the hammock up - it makes it sooooo quick.

Last edited:

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
You really should look up your Uni maths. The strain you are attempting to put on your suspension is much larger than you imagine. at a five degree angle, a 70 kilo person will exert over 400 kilos on each side. at a 30 deg angle, you will exert your own body weight on each line. That's not moving. Wriggle and you'll probably double the load. tension formula: T=w/2sin(theta) where w is total weight, theta is the angle from horizontal of the suspension line The horizontal force on the tree is shown by T=w/2tan(theta). For reference, amsteel has a BS of a little under 700 kilos.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
You really should look up your Uni maths. The strain you are attempting to put on your suspension is much larger than you imagine. at a five degree angle, a 70 kilo person will exert over 400 kilos on each side. at a 30 deg angle, you will exert your own body weight on each line. That's not moving. Wriggle and you'll probably double the load. tension formula: T=w/2sin(theta) where w is total weight, theta is the angle from horizontal of the suspension line The horizontal force on the tree is shown by T=w/2tan(theta). For reference, amsteel has a BS of a little under 700 kilos.

Aye, but the ridgeline shares the load with the hammock distributing more the of load than in a system with no structural srl?

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
I have no clue regard the math behind it "but" I believe looking at "the whoopies from the tree huggers", they will take "all" the load before it shares any out?
Just my opinion.
I'm all for new ideas and methods but self preservation first... lmao

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE