My DIY Ferro Rod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
Completely the opposite to how 99.9% of knife work would be sued in fact Stevie. In theory, as well as pulling the rod rearwards, you are also applying pressure by holding the rod and lifting upwards. A knife you would hold it downwards pushing the cutting edge against something. Even when cutting a piece of rope, the force of the blade in the handle would be opposite to the forces in the handle of a ferro rod.

Will be nice to see the end results when you're done mate.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Completely the opposite to how 99.9% of knife work would be sued in fact Stevie. In theory, as well as pulling the rod rearwards, you are also applying pressure by holding the rod and lifting upwards. A knife you would hold it downwards pushing the cutting edge against something. Even when cutting a piece of rope, the force of the blade in the handle would be opposite to the forces in the handle of a ferro rod.

Will be nice to see the end results when you're done mate.
It's on the first page..My first effort mind you, I Just cut a piece of Birch, shaped it and stuck it on. would be nice to try with different wood types.

As for pulling the knife rod Backwards, I just place the tip of the rod on or near whatever i'm trying to ignite and run the back edge of my knife downwards, Plenty room to do this with 4" of rod....Works for me and you direct the sparks where you want them.

Last edited:

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
Yup, I believe I even put a comment or two in the with the photo, Stevie.

What I meant was, that whether you slide the knife on top of the rod, or draw the rod backwards, the hand which is holding the rod is working in the opposite way that it would if it was using a knife to cut something. Make sense?? Ahh well, matters not, lol.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE