My day in pictures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
I had a few hours to myself today, so I took full advantage and I have come to the conclusion that the Universe decided to give me a good day!

Firstly I was carrying a new set of kit that I havent used before so I expected to find I need to alter something at some point. That's what this trip was for.. A test run.

I have been wanting a walking stick recently and I found a lovely piece of hazel that had broken away from the main trunk and didnt need much more than a light tug to free it. 20 seconds later with my foliding saw and I had a perfect stick. As I was sat down doing this I saw something I have been looking for in my area for ages! i finally found Cramp Balls:

I actually had a piece with me from a bunch that @Leshy had sent me and so today was also my first successful fire from a Cramp Ball:

After my sucess with the Cramp Balls I decided to go on a fungus hunt and found a few things that I dont know what they are:

And I think I found Witches Butter:

I was pretty hungry now so I had some Ramsons, the unopened buds are soooo tasty! At this point I was starting to wish I had brought a possibles pouch.... Luckily not long after thinking this I found a ditched messenger bag which did nicely. I also took some for home along with some Jelly/Jew Ear:

I found a nice piece of fallen/aged [sycamore?] that when I got home I found had a little bit of spalting, so now Im planning to turn it into a knife handle:

And I found a lovely piece of paper Birch that I decided to make my first spoon with... Which I will post about in my hook knife thread.

All in all a pretty nice few hours to myself.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
Sounds like a good few hours out. Be careful with the hazel if its already dead and seasoned its more than likely got woodworm making it a very weak stick.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
looks like a nice day out. as for ids, the top, spindly looking stuff looks like mare-tail. not a fungus but the bain of my life in my garden. Although i have just read that i can be edible if young and well cooked, have yet to try it yet.
Next one down looks like a slime mould. brow that, old earth balls (could be puffballs i guess). and below that, old oyster mushrooms. not sure on the bottom one though.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Excellent ! Good haul there Marc!!
Glad you finally found some crampballs anyways, but if you need some more give us a shout ...Got loads of the stuff!!

Thanks again for the trade 👍👍

I've started processing the Amadou ...
I'll send you a link with the process as we go...👍

I've extracted the Amadou , now need to boil it with water and birch ash .
Then bash it and dry it...
😉

Best regards for you and little Jackal.👍😉

All the best.

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Excellent ! Good haul there Marc!!
Glad you finally found some crampballs anyways, but if you need some more give us a shout ...Got loads of the stuff!!

Thanks again for the trade 👍👍

I've started processing the Amadou ...
I'll send you a link with the process as we go...👍

I've extracted the Amadou , now need to boil it with water and birch ash .
Then bash it and dry it...
😉

Best regards for you and little Jackal.👍😉

All the best.

I look forward :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE