My crooked knife does all the work

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
"My crooked knife does all the work"
From John Kawapit's song

Ok, maybe I go on a bit about crooked knives but I'll make no apologies! I just like them, because I believe they are the best, most versatile green woodworking tools. Artwork, one-handed drawknife, cutting tool, carving tool, all in one. What more can you want?

Here are a few pictures from the internet.
Shaping a canoe stem with the crooked knife
Made around 1950 by French-Canadian wood carver and fiddler Omer Marcoux
Right handed crooked knife
Same crooked knife as above
"Posh" crooked knife, right handed,brass wire and beautiful handle
"How to" hold the crooked knife, right handed
One I made, left handed
Three works of art in their own right, these knives belong to Luc Poitras

Enjoy!

Except for the one picture where I show one of my crooked knives, all the photos are borrowed from the internet, only to illustrate the crooked knife in its various form and use. If you are the owner of one of the pictures I have used and object to my using it here, please let me know and I will remove it.

Last edited:

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
i love these knives. i have only used one a couple of times and am having trouble getting my hands on one. whittler kev is hopefully gonna be able to make me one soon. thanks for posting

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I've tried several handle shapes but never could get on with them, I may have to give them another play.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I'm thinking making one is the cheapest and best way to get one... jig set up- check... 10 fingers- check.... HWMBO sent out to play at the gun club- check.... ;) If my next post misses every 10th letter, somethings gone very, VERY wrong but there'll be an interesting new post in the first aid section!

522134_3279891110574_1066438695_3089461_1576787150_n.jpg

Well, I'm pleased with that for an afternoons work :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE