my camp tidy

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Call me disorganised but it seems everytime I go into the woods I put something down and lose it or step on it - especially around a fixed camp. Now with a couple of little nippers it seems that sharp pointy things etc are always far too close to hand (their hands).

So - and this is not rocket science and I don't know why I did not think of it before - but at the end of my hammock, around the tree I sling some paracord and a short chain with hooks. Now everything always seems to hand...and can be lit at night :D

oops I suppose this should in the DIY section - but it IS to hang your kit from :eek:

IMGP1872.jpg

IMGP1874.jpg

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Gasp! Is that a lanyard in the lanyard hole on your axe?!?

Jed Yarland would have a fit! ;-)

Fair enough. I admit I have never used my axe with a lanyard through it. But I thought...its got a hole...lets use it for the photo. I'm funny like that...always doing things I'm not meant to do. It was just an example of what could be hung from it. ;) Next time I'll hang a ham or four :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That's a good idea. Can't say I have any chain or hooks, but I reckon some of the tiny alpkit karabiners on a piece of paracord with alpine butterfly knots tied at intervals would do the same job! I'm in a right "making stuff" mood tonight!

:D

Tripitaka

Nomad
Apr 13, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC.
Genius in its simplicity.

I can't recall ever using one, but what's so terrible about a lanyard in an axe?

Apparently they have a nasty habit of becoming caught on things as you swing, diverting the head away from its intended path and redirecting it towards your (generally) lower body.

Hammered into us on the axe workshops at the moot that it is a cardinal sin.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
In that case the hook being used is big enough to pass straight through the eye of the axe lanyard hole - so I could hang it without the lanyard. Alternatively I could just have a lanyard that has two loops either end and just thread it through eye and over the hook when I want to hang up my axe. Anyway - its the thought behind the principle in this case ;)

Still - I am going to find such a thinkg useful for keeping things safe and in one place whilst in the woods around fixed camp.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE