My buzzard

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
i think the lesson to be learnt here is DIY, there's plenty of support out there for your chosen species.
an the consensus , which i agree with is RSPCA , RSPB have their own agendas but nonetheless useful if you want to use them as a nuisance :eek:

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
I'm sorry about your Buzzard as well :( that would have upset me as well, we have lots around our way and I love seeing them.

It's a sad state of affairs with a lot of the larger 'charities' now. I look them all up here,

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/

type in their charity number and it'll tell you what they spend their money on from their accounts they submit each year.

Even the ones we get put through the letterbox I look up when they're doing collections. I'm amazed how many of them are businesses and how little they actually give of the money to the charity. It's amazing how little they have to give to be called a charity....

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I'd be surprised if anyone actually working on the ground for the RSPCA had an agenda beyond helping animals. Every organisation has it's fair share of numpties...

Would love to hear the other side of the story

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The nice thing is they have no powers more than any citizen - zero, zip, nada. Standing advice from respectable organisations is to simply turn them away if they ever come to call.

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
......even helped a young seagull hit by a car right outside the surgery (fortunately) who was saveable ... but be aware, seagulls bite !!!
Why would anyone want to save a seagull? Vile things....and there's plenty more where that one came from. Seems odd to me.
Don't get me wrong, I love animals! Especially stuffed with herbs!!!

ps Not a personal attack before anyone gets funny!!!!

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
It's funny isn't it, we tend to have a natural aversion to, or dislike of the scavengers of this world. Whatever form they come in.

Folks dislike crows too but without them buzzards wouldn't have nests to lay there eggs. Easy to hate animals that are almost as cruel as humans I guess:p

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Why would anyone want to save a seagull? Vile things....and there's plenty more where that one came from. Seems odd to me.
Don't get me wrong, I love animals! Especially stuffed with herbs!!!

ps Not a personal attack before anyone gets funny!!!!

My mother was the local 'bird woman'. For some reason people would bring her any birds that were injured, taken by cats or fell out of the nest. She raised everything from sparrows to pied shags (think cormorant). From memory the most interesting were thrushes and seagulls. Both seemed to genuinely like people and would keep coming back for years. Sparrows were cheeky and seemed to like human hair. They didn't hang around for long though. My mother was a teacher and one seagull used to follow mum around the school playground when she was on duty. It did this for about 2 years.

The shag was the worst. It used to regurgitate a particularly nasty mess all over anyone who handled it. Seagulls were also pretty bad for this and anything that came out the other end was pretty unpleasant too. It was all about the diet I guess :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thrushes are lovely birds. Our little planting schemes mean we now have both mistle and song thrushes nexting here. Fabulous to look at, listen to and watch. Very "movement wary" but not bothered by people if you are just still around them. Amongst my favourite birds!

Mistle Thrush Hello by British Red, on Flickr

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Thrushes are lovely birds. Our little planting schemes mean we now have both mistle and song thrushes nexting here. Fabulous to look at, listen to and watch. Very "movement wary" but not bothered by people if you are just still around them. Amongst my favourite birds!

Mistle Thrush Hello by British Red, on Flickr

Mine too :) We used to sacrifice one of the bathrooms in the house to whichever bird or birds was in residence. I never begrudged it to the thrushes. They seemed to be pretty good survivors too. They took food easily, liked people and were easy to turn loose as well. Have you noticed how intelligent thrushes appear to be?

You've posted a picture of a mistle thrush. Now that is particularly lovely bird.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
My mother was the local 'bird woman'. For some reason people would bring her any birds that were injured, taken by cats or fell out of the nest. She raised everything from sparrows to pied shags (think cormorant). From memory the most interesting were thrushes and seagulls. Both seemed to genuinely like people and would keep coming back for years. Sparrows were cheeky and seemed to like human hair. They didn't hang around for long though. My mother was a teacher and one seagull used to follow mum around the school playground when she was on duty. It did this for about 2 years.

The shag was the worst. It used to regurgitate a particularly nasty mess all over anyone who handled it. Seagulls were also pretty bad for this and anything that came out the other end was pretty unpleasant too. It was all about the diet I guess :)

I've just contracted a serious case of double-entendre disease after reading that.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
I'd be surprised if anyone actually working on the ground for the RSPCA had an agenda beyond helping animals. Every organisation has it's fair share of numpties...

Would love to hear the other side of the story

What the RSPCA angle? Now you're spoiling it..Ah! ok then.. They picked the Buzzard up and shook it and an once of 6 shot fell out, which is why it flew into the fence in the first place..:lmao: :lmao:

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I've just contracted a serious case of double-entendre disease after reading that.

I could see that coming but decided to post anyway :D Some subjects just can't be discussed without double entendre.

I'm guessing that the shag was the worst offender. The bird in question was one of these:

http://www.nzbirds.com/birds/piedshag.html

Trust me when I say that you wouldn't want to go anywhere near the working end of one so any other 'shag' doesn't bear thinking about.

Last edited:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
What the RSPCA angle? Now you're spoiling it..Ah! ok then.. They picked the Buzzard up and shook it and an once of 6 shot fell out, which is why it flew into the fence in the first place..:lmao: :lmao:

I meant just a general opinion from the RSPCA. I doubt the intent is to complicate or exacerbate a situation and they seem to be getting ripped into more than just a little.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They get ripped into because they divert huge amounts of money that was donated to care for sick animals into nuisance prosecutions. The case Bushawacker brought up they wasted a third of a million pounds on a prosecution that resulted in a couple of fines. If they actually wanted to improve the lives of wild animals, they could have endowed a wildlife hospital and saved hundred if not thousands of wild animals lives, but they preferred to indulge in political grandstading with charitable donations.

I used to be a regular donor to the organisation - but they are not what they once were - they are nor a political lobby group, not an animal rescue charity. I suspect the ire you detect is because many of us have seen evidence of this.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Have you noticed how intelligent thrushes appear to be?

You've posted a picture of a mistle thrush. Now that is particularly lovely bird.

I have noticed - really clever. I watched one smashing snails and inspecting them one day....it was a scientific operation. Eventually, she found another anvil stone she was happy with. I have positioned some anvil stones for them now. When they are hunting. I turn over a couple of logs stacks I leave for snails to hide in...she loves me. She now sits on the log stack and chirps at me!-

This home is the first we have been blessed with nesting mistles. Much bigger than song thrushes...but not as tuneful!

Mistle Thrush by British Red, on Flickr

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
We contacted the RSPCA a number of years back as we thought that a chap a few doors up had a puppy farm in his shed (which it was later proved he did) and the things used to be kept locked away in this shed all day and night, and all weathers be it freezing cold or roasting hot and all you could hear were these dogs howling with the occasional yelp as the ******** who lived there kicked them.

So we got in touch with the RSPCA and thinking we were doing the right thing told them about what was going on, the idiots instead of just turning up and catching the person of questionable parentage red handed, made an appointment instead, thereby giving him time to get everything sorted out, so when the Inspector turned up, it was all clean and the dogs were running free around the garden and of course being it was the first time in ages the things had been let out, they were all playful and having a wail of a time with their new found freedom, which as soon as the Inspector left, ended.

After that i point blank refuse to give monery to or support the RSPCA in any way, shape or form, don't even get me started on the RSPB, what a waste of space that lot are too

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
This is why the RSPCA are now disliked - put simply as a charity they are not what they were

[video]http://bcove.me/0ijo3xov[/video]

Very sad that they now turn their back on animals in need to support political grandstanding. Indeed they now need to "find" cruelty cases to justify their being - since they are no longer a rehoming or animal care charity - they are now a self appointed "police force"

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE