My biggest axe so far

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Hello just wanna show you my biggest axe so far. 85 cm long birch handle made from a split straight grain almost knotfree log I saved from the fire. Used an axe, hammer, knife and draw knife in the making of it. The wedges are also made of birch and secured with an old horse shoe nail. Now I gonna oil it and let it dry then sharpen it.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice work mate, Its got a good curve to it, plenty of whip round. Won't have to put too much effort into the swing with that. :)

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Thanks I find curves more interesting then straight lines true for most things in life :). It is so fun to carve straight grain birch!

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Looks a beaut!
Im halfwey through a few (smaller) handles meself although the comfy feel i think is going to make one of them a bit to thick by normal standards.

But...is birch good for handles, i thought it was too sort and wouldnt last Ahh.. although you are up north where it grows slow and stronger, still though is it a good alternative to ash?
To any axe buffs - look up the traditional scandinavian 'lofting' axe its a beast!;
http://taigaloghouse.com/school/
(just an example)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE