My 5th knife completed....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
Hi...richardw recently sent me this mora scandvik 12c27 blank and some cherry scales to have a go at working with stainless for the first time....big thankyou m8!! i was surprised how much harder it is than the 01 carbon blanks i've worked with so far. i've still to finish it off properly and give it an oiling and the steel still needs a bit of filework but here goes....and being a somewhat chunky/stubby handle/blade made it harder to get it looking shapely but i'm quite pleased and it feels nice in hand. thick black liners and mosaic and nickel silver pins. i could do with a bit of advice on how to finish this off nicely if anyone can help...at first i gave it a practice polish on my converted grinder using the normal 3 mops and compounds but the cherry seems softer/more fibrous than the buffalo horn, bog oak, laburnum and cocobolo i've used previously and it just came up looking dirty and not too shiny so after reading awarners recent similar post i'm tempted to have a go with linseed for the first time....i had a look on *bay and theres loads off different types....flax, boiled, virgin blah blah....which linseed is the one to go for?

anyway....hope you like and criticism wanted as always please! (and some sympathy from hillbill too lol)

R2LOW.jpg

R1LOW.jpg

R3LOW.jpg

R5LOW.jpg

R4LOW.jpg

R6LOW.jpg

as i said....much harder than 01....many hours of sanding....however i met a tree surgeon the other day who actually (long mad story) gripped a chainsaw blade out of necessity (seems unbelievable) and man you shoulda seen his hand....literally in half...years of reconstructive surgery and its just about ok so yeah fair enough....i need to man up lolol!

THUMBLOW.jpg

THUMB2LOW.jpg

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Done a nice job on that mate :). But you are supposed to sand the knife, not your thumb :rolleyes::lmao:

The steel isn't actually harder, stainless just has a high wear resistance :p

I keep trying to find a violin smiley for you, no joy, i will find one though lol.

Last edited:

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
ta for the compliments! lol bill...ok ok....i'll settle for a violin smiley....deal.

high wear resistance indeed....its totally finished off my already somewhat worn cheap file set....think i'll be paying axminster a call soon to get some decent ones....any recommendations on what type/roughness of files i should get please?

and thanks for the linseed info wolf....am now heading to the bay to get some....think i'll do the rubbing with my awkward but intact right hand lol.

a

Done a nice job on that mate :). But you are supposed to sand the knife, not your thumb :rolleyes::lmao:

The steel isn't actually harder, stainless just has a high wear resistance :p

I keep trying to find a violin smiley for you, no joy, i will find one though lol.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Looks Great Angst, it wont become my favorite from your series of knives as I am still sticking with your second knife I loved that one.
But yet again great result, if the time comes, and my wallet is fat enough I wont hesitate to buy one of you ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I'd say.... Good elth :thumbup: looking forad to seeing next one :cool:

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Looks great, I like cherry on knives. Get some surgical spirit on your digits and remember the mantra when doing things by hand, I am the machine!

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi....ta guys....i got these pins from tom of mammoth blades/wood and knife supplies....hes leonidas on here...he has just about everything you could want....

long story short....a random accident led to him having to grab it to prevent it hitting him in the face....more of a reflex action....it coulda been worse tho....mightve got him in the spudz....lol....when i pointed this out to him he said.....''hadnt looked at it like that....'' lol....

regards

a
Beautiful blade - are the pins available commercially or did you make them?

And what's the story with the chainsaw - why did he have to grab it?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE