My 50th Birthday week

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gailainne

Life Member
British Red asked that I show him my Otter, Mink pics, from this trip so here they are, I'll put up a proper report when I get back from this weekend :D

I was walking along a track from Calgery bay in Mull, past the quay, maybe 200 metres when I came across a water cut heading for the sea, I had just thought to myself, thats a perfect entry for an Otter, took another step, and theres a (turned out to be a Mink) heading towards me along the cut, we both stop, have a look at each other and the Mink decides to carry on, meanwhile numpty me still has his camera in the bag :eek: , so hes walking straight for me, I'm trying to get the camera out and turned on.....velcro...riiip, Mink jumps about 2 ft in the air and disappears, bugger, bugger, bugger, take the camera out anyway, and up he pops for another look :D
Mink.jpg

He/she was a decent size, perhaps over 2 ft nose to tail tip.

The second encounter, was one coming in from the sea, I didnt know they did that, so was sure I had an Otter in my sights, but when it reached the rocks, you can see by the body shape its not an Otter
mink2.jpg

Third encounter I didnt get a photo, the little begger was moving too fast in the rocks, less than a foot long, but it jumped in and out of the water with no problem, it did take time to shake itself everytime it reached another rock.

Forth encounter, this is one day within maybe 100 metres of the first sighting btw over maybe a 3 hr period. And I think this is an Otter, look at the whiskers, unfortunately it saw me, dived and disappeared.
Otter.jpg

Next Day, I drove down to Salen, I know there was Otters there as I saw them there last time I visited, about 300 metres back towards Tobermory from the 3 old fishing vessels. I had only been there maybe 15 mins, there seems always to be seals on the small Island, and the Otters fish all around it, there were 2 in the bay that morning, but one decided to come ashore, I figured out where it would come ashore and was there to greet it
Otter2ndday.jpg

Otter2ndday2.jpg

It used a storm drain pipe to access the woods behind the road, very clever.

More later.

Cheers

Stephen

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Spot on with your IDs there Stephen - especially with the water psychos.

Many Happy Returns!

Red

Gailainne

Life Member
Red

The guy who came ashore was well out to sea, which was not at all calm, when I first spotted him, which is why I thought, Otter, little beggers can swim.

The bar manager at the Mishnish hotel/bar told me Mink sometimes wander up the high street, and her cat had a serious run in with one, resulting in expensive stitching.

Stephen

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Very hard to tell whats what when its a swimming head in amongst some choppy swell.

Great to see both in a series - I envy you the sight

Red

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Looks like a great way to spend your bday, great pics. I went to Mull as a boy, great place.
I used to see mink alongside a lake i used to maintain in the mids. Think they prayed on the voles and such.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Glad you had a great birthday Steve... and half a century ehh!

Cool pics too, will be sure to show my sister in law as she drags the family to all other to see a dot on the horizon. :lmao: It really annoys her when I tell tales of otters playing at my feet in the rivers around Dumfries.

Up here in Perthshire my mutt has kinda cleared out scared away the mink in the river at the door and the otters have returned to clear out the bigger fish... Though himself got into a wee tangle in the winter with an otter that resulted in me jumping in and getting very cold and wet. I'll train him yet though... leaves the local non-game bird population alone now... bar the oyster catchers as they keep us both awake all through the blinking night.

Glad you had a great time.
Goatboy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE