My 4th knife completed with matching steel and custom sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi...my latest efforts....first time i've used cocobolo and i love it...stainless acorns/lanyard....black liners....blade made by hillbill...nice size, a bit smaller than a woodie....thought i'd make a matching firesteel to go with it....yup i didnt think about grain direction doh!....but hey my missus loved it so much i've given it to her....which now gives me the go ahead to buy another blade from mark lol! the sheath i made a while ago and thought it suited it.

as always criticism wanted please....

nearing completion....

COCO5LOW.jpg

COCO6LOW.jpg

COCO1LOW.jpg

COCO2LOW.jpg

COCO3LOW.jpg

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
thanks guys....though what i wouldnt give for a linisher/belt sander!!

anyway....have started on 5th knife....pics on soon,

a

There's another thread going on here at BCUK about hand finishing handles. Trust me on this - using a belt sander or linisher would take a LOT of control and it's far too easy to take too much off and wrecking the whole thing. Use a rasp or even a coping saw to take the meat of the stock off, then using assorted course and medium round, half moon and flat files will allow you to get it down to the basic shape and you'll have total control over how much comes off with each stroke of the tool. Finally finishing with grades of glass paper or wet and dry then polishing cloth.

Speaking as a carpenter here by the way. Machine tools are fine if you're making a door, but on a knife handle I wouldn't let it anywhere near one.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I do all my shaping on the same machine i make the blades on. I just hand sand afterwards to get a good finish. :p

Fat ferret

Forager
May 24, 2012
Galloway
Very good mate. I shape wood and horn handles with a fine cabinet makers rasp which is ideal. Then sanding and wire wool. Will post a few pictures sometime.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Looking really good as I expected of you Angst ^^.
could you perhaps enlighten me on the coloring of the sheath. with all the kind of drops and dots in the coloring, I really love the effect.
Is it just uneven applying of a dye or is there another method to it?
Yours sincerely Ruud

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi....the sheath was an experiment really....its many layers of fiebings acrylic leather stain and finish and eco-flo too rubbed on with a cloth then spattered with an old perfume bottle with fiebings medium brown dye....then more finish and carnauba on top....glad you like!

a

Looking really good as I expected of you Angst ^^.
could you perhaps enlighten me on the coloring of the sheath. with all the kind of drops and dots in the coloring, I really love the effect.
Is it just uneven applying of a dye or is there another method to it?
Yours sincerely Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE