mussel question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mazeman

Forager
Jun 7, 2007
Porthmadog, Gwynedd
I've been out mussel hunting today (I know it's the tail end of the season but ...) and have come up wih a puzzle. I live by a tidal estuary quite well known for its mussels and yet I can find only small, barnacle encrusted ones. The seagulls, on the other hand, find big beautiful one with clean shells. How can this be? What do they knowe that I don't? :D

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Wait until low tides. The bigger ones are in the deeper water. I think this is because mussells that are in the water more, grow more than ones out the water half the time.
Alternatively, wade out if you can manage the cold and pick them.

Also, try going after a storm as the bigger ones get washes onto the shore.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Low tides give a good opertunity for a feast, crabs under the rocks, mussells, razors, etc.
Plus at low tide it's a good oportunity to put a few baited hooks out and leave until the next tide.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Yip, we had a 'feast' for two weeks at 'Ascog Bay' Tighnabruaich side of Loch Fyne on scout camps there. The bay dried out perfectly. Mussels with everything. Flounders were an aquired taste though, even drenched in garlic and onions.

Nick

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Does anyone know if you can eat the freshwater mussels? I have afound a few in my local fishing lake, some are quite big.

I've tried to find some accurate information for you, but it seems to be a bit disorganised. There has been some debate on what type of freshwater mussel or clam are legally protected and what are not. There are also concerns with toxicity as all mussels are filter feeders, and nasty chemicals or heavy metals could be found in high and potentially health harming levels. I'll keep on searching, but I'm not sure if I'll find anything.

One person said they tried them and they tasted of mud and fish poo, even after flushing.

Nag.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
According to the The Wildlife and Countryside Act, 1981: Schedule 5 (Animals) here is a list of protected molluscs, latin name, common name, Sections of Act cited where complete protection is not afforded, Year scheduled.

Atrina fragilis Fan mussel Killing & injuring S.9(1); possession S9(2); sale S.9(5) 1998
Caecum armoricum De Folin's lagoon snail 1992
Catinella arenaria Sandbowl snail 1981
Margaritifera margaritifera Pearl mussel Killing & injuring S.9(1) (part) Full protection.9(1) 19911998
Monacha cartusiana Carthusian snail Removed from Schedule 5 1981 1988
Myxas glutinosa Glutinous snail 1981
Paludinella littorina Lagoon snail 1992
Tenellia adspersa Lagoon sea slug 1992
Thyasira gouldi Northern hatchet-shell

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
"Mussels are filter feeders"......Thats a good point Nagual - I dont think i'd want to eat a Mussel which has been feeding on the groundbait and boilies that most of the Carp anglers use - im sure they are full of nasty additives, so i think ill give these a miss!

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
you could of course purge them for a day or so if you were worried about ground baits from fishermen but concider they are well fed if they manage -- a hole boily - I would be more concerned about toxic levels from industrial pollutions than boileys

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE