Mushroom preserves/pickes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Hi guys. I've got a glut of chanterelles and common hedgehog mushrooms, and I'm looking for some tasty ways to make them last. I've already got a bunch of hedgehog mushrooms in the freezer for future stews and soups, so I'm thinking a pickle and a ketchup might be a fun way to make something different?

Do you folks have any recipes to recommend, or even perhaps an idea of which herbs might go well with each type of mushroom. I've read that bayleaf is a good starting point with chanterelle?

Thanks!

Reactions: zornt and TeeDee

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
COTW I just wash, chop up, fry in butter and black pepper, and bag in the heavyweight stand and pour bags. They last in the fridge like that for at least a fortnight (we're still eating the stuff Himself brought home a fortnight ago. It was new grown, on willow, and lovely stuff). If we have a huge glut I just freeze those bags.
It's excellent made into curry and frozen like that, but I 'canned' some last year in Kilner jars, and it's been really good. Didn't go to mush :cool:
I did them in the pressure cooker, just brought up to 15lbs and turned the heat off and let them cool down until the lid lifted with no hassle.

Chanterelles also keep well in the fridge, uncooked. I'd treat them just like the COTW otherwise, but I think I'd use olive oil on them. I don't think they'd do so well in the kilner jars though.
Sorry, not much help on that.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Well, I've given it a bash. Not perfectly so, I think it would have been much better (atleast for long term storage) to make enough to get the jars full to the top. It's mad how much the shrooms shrink after frying! I've stuck to flavouring with peppercorns and bayleaf, and the vinegar of choice is white wine.

20211016_174433.jpg20211016_174816.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I worry that the liquid would leach too much taste out of the mushrooms.
Common technique here is to thread them on long cotton cords and let them dry.
Good if you run a wood stove, nice gentle but steady heat. UK log burner.

What does have a very strong appetizing appeal to me would be some sort of a thick, very fine dice mushroom chutney. Maybe with eggs? Or even a great glob on a burger or slice of roast beast?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
zornt: thanks, I have a very vague recollection of hearing about that, long time ago. Thanks for the refresher. The rest of the story was that tomatoes were widely viewed with suspicion to be very toxic/poisonous.

Reactions: zornt

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Zornt: What a Google. I should be able to buy mushroom ketchup in Aldi on Monday! It is alive and well.
Just sent a PM to a guy who might be growing a variety down the road 50km from me.

Reactions: zornt

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Soak the chanterelles in sherry or a good marsala and scoff with little fresh anchovies and those jarred Peppadew peppers right out of the fridge. Very icy GnT, too. Moreish isn't the word, though. So be prepared to eat all of them in one go and get very drunk.

Last edited:

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Boshed out some mushroom ketchup, a mate had dropped off some shaggy ink caps for me to try, they had a lovely flavour but way too mushy for my liking so I added some sautéed hedgehog mushrooms and chanterelles to bulk them out and then simmered them in some vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, bay leaf, mild curry powder, garlic, salt and pepper. It tastes great!

20211018_173639.jpg20211018_174909.jpg20211018_175629.jpg20211018_175735.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE