Mushroom ID - Russula

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Well, I was out walking the dog today and spied a few hazel trees which already have quite well developed nuts on them (oo-er!). So, I'll be back later for them.

However, the reason I'm writing this is that I also saw three mushrooms on a cool shaded path, surrounded by deciduous trees (beech and oak mainly). About 8-10cm high, same in diameter.

They had an inky-blue upper surface, with a depression in the middle. White, clearly defined gills and stalk with no veil. It looks very much like a 'Charcoal Burner' (Russula Cyanoxantha) but seems to be a darker blue/purple. Russula Grisea also looks a possible candidate.

Both are edible and both are in the right season. I'm keen to try and firmly identify. Any ideas for a solid ID? Specific features?

I'll try and get a photo soon.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Russula atropupurea Smells of apples and has a white spore print
Russula grisea the gills are ochre cream and so is the spore print the smell is slight and the taste of the flesh is mildly hot.
Russula cyanoxantha the gills are forked, a white spore print and not much in the way of taste or smell.

Visual features don't make that of differance with russulas, as most of the features used for ID are things like spore print colour, flesh taste (you have know that it is a russula) and smell. The ones that cause vomiting taste terrible, but then IMHO the most ones that are edible aren't much cop either. Not my favorite group, and I am no expert on them.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Russulas are hard to ID. That's about all I can say on the subject. ;)

However, I'm pretty sure that Richard whatshisface of "Food for Free" fame claims that all russulas are edible if cooked. Don't know if I'd trust that though...

Not my favourite group either.

xylaria

According to my copy of cooper johnson (MAFF poisons guide published in 1982) if they are boiled for 10 mins they are all edible. According to Stefan buczacki field guide all ones that produce vomiting taste terrible. Buczacki is expert on Russulas. They supposed quite easy to tell differance between edibles and non-edibles by taste testing the fresh mushroom and smelling it. IDing the individual how ever I find very challanging, esspically when the most edible as far as I know taste like tinned potatoes in my experiance. But i know people that forage in pine woods who think they are great.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE