Multitool advice, please...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
I have a SOG and it is a good tool but the pouch wore through so I made a leather one.
Also have a Gerber also a good tool but larger and heavier than the SOG, depends on what I am doing as to which one I take with me.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Much as I have been bashing my Wave, I still have it at my side and have used mostly Leathermans of one sort or another for fifteen years or more.

For anyone looking at a Wave they should also check out two accessories which I have found invaluable. The Nylon pouch with all the accessory slots, it features a tiny pocket behind the velcro, a larger pocket behind the tool and two elasticated slots either side of the tool, ideal for a small cuts kit, torch, space pen or whatever. This pouch also allows you to holster the tool in an open position (the pliers pop through a hole in the bottom) which is handy if you are working at height etc.

The other accessory is the tool adapter, which allows you to both use regular bits and also to rotate the tool adapter head through ninety degrees so you can apply massive torque to hard to removes screws (I may be wrong but these may be out of production these days).

:)

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
My Swiss champ goes everywhere with me and has rescued me on many an occasion. If you shop around you can get them for about £30.

You cannot knock a swiss champ, I traveled the world with one, not a second glance from customs officers and as tough as nails. :)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I have to be honest, If I had to pick one of my multi tools and only one to travel around the world with, I'd pick the swisschamp.
Granted the Leatherman will out plier the SAK, but the SAK has so many other useful things on it.
Most of which I've used at one point or another.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I have to be honest, If I had to pick one of my multi tools and only one to travel around the world with, I'd pick the swisschamp.
Granted the Leatherman will out plier the SAK, but the SAK has so many other useful things on it.
Most of which I've used at one point or another.

The only tool I've never used on my champ is the fish descaler. And that only applies if you discount it's other function as a ruler.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The choice is a difficult one to make. I had a look at Hainnie's website, on which they have an extensive range of multitools. When trawling through the bewildering selection, I had a look at the reviews. Most for Leathermen and Victorinox were '5-star-fab' ones; the SOG ones do not get rated nearly so highly. Since the pliers are the attraction, perhaps I'll just get a pair of them and have done with it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE