Multimap Does Ordance Survey Maps - So Does the iPhone!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
All,

Multimap
You probably already know this, but I have just found out....

Multimap will overlay OS maps in 1:50k (whole of UK) and 1:25k (National Parks).

What is odd is that Multimap is powered by Bing, Microsoft's new mapping and search pltform, but on www.bing.com/maps/ the OS option is removed!

So you need to head over to www.multimap.com

iPhone

URL: http://www.publicfootpaths.com/

This site has a great little app that suffers from on major problem. You need data to download the maps like you would for Google. So where you need it most, it probably won't work.

Still, where it does work, its works great! Try out the simulator on the site as well.

Mike

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
interesting as I was thinking that I might get an iphone - until I found out it would not run memory map.

Though to be honest I think it wouldbe better to get a phone that runs Windows Mobile and then run memory map or Anquent.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
If you are looking for a proper GPS system, you're better off going windows mobile. Although this still wont be as good as a proper unit like a garmin. The Iphone app is great to get you to the start or where I am on the South Downs.

Basically, I'm cheap and the app is free!

Gailainne

Life Member
The new touch screen phones will run os maps, I have a Nokia 5800, and I've installed View Ranger on it, I have the UK at 1:50k, and you can also download grid sections at 1:25k, have a look at their website.

Usual disclaimer, not associated.....etc

Stephen

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
One question...

I thought that all of these 'smart' phones (iphone, windows mobile etc.) have 'full web browsing capability'.

If so, why not just use Ordnance Survey's own 'Get A Map' facility?

The "get a map" is bit crappy. The real one to use is the open layers mapping version called OpenSpace. (I have a demo at http://www.peligra.com/mapping/) - but again, you need web with in the hills is not always available.

The other reason is the iPhone app plugs in the GPS and route finding.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
it's probably me (i'm a computer dunce) but when i print a map from multi-map the scale is slightly wrong, the print-out is slightly bigger than the OS map (grid lines slightly farther apart), maybe i have a faulty printer or am just computer illiterate, have you checked a print-out and is it same scale as OS map.

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
I might be mistaken, but I think the OS Browser app for the iPhone allows you to take a (camera-like) snapshot of an area of map you're interested in using so you have it in phone memory. Then you don't need a data connection to use it, just a GPS signal to locate your position. Slightly off topic, I was impressed to find I didn't need to charge my iPhone at all during a recent week-long course by putting it into airplane mode and just checking calls/ emails as and when...

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
it's probably me (i'm a computer dunce) but when i print a map from multi-map the scale is slightly wrong, the print-out is slightly bigger than the OS map (grid lines slightly farther apart), maybe i have a faulty printer or am just computer illiterate, have you checked a print-out and is it same scale as OS map.

You might find that the printer is doing some sort of scaling. I normally hit ALT+PRINT SCREEN to get a screen shot and then just paste into paint and print.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I use MemoryMap on my old Windows Moble HDC phone, which is a lot better than anything I havge found to date for my iPhone. It has stopped me from getting lost several times when out in woods on the South Downs. If anyone knows of a program that will load up OS maps from a memory card (not downloaded) for the iPhone I would be interested to hear about it.

Jul 23, 2007
Ireland
www.google.com
Id like to use the contour maps avai'able from the SMC on my nokia 5800. They are in garmin's .img format. There is software for the nokia that imports maps, such as Pathaway, but it doesnt allow img files. Please help.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Try the open source mapping site - I think they have a forum and there are all sorts of geeks there who know about how to do these things. I have managed to combine the OSM mapping with the SMC contouring and uploaded to Garmin Vista HCx on memory card. This is however in .img format, so I can't personally help you with your Nokia issue.

shamal

Mar 13, 2010
Bolsover
I use MemoryMap on my old Windows Moble HDC phone, which is a lot better than anything I havge found to date for my iPhone. It has stopped me from getting lost several times when out in woods on the South Downs. If anyone knows of a program that will load up OS maps from a memory card (not downloaded) for the iPhone I would be interested to hear about it.
I use the HTC HD2 with memory map works perfect
its is running windows mobile 6.1

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE