Multifuel burner for trangia

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Weiman,
The Trangia multi burner was/is a good burner, but it's kind've let down by the Trangia pans even the bonny new duossal will weld food to the pot when turned up high. If using the two together its really best as a snow melter for winter use. As a carefull cooker it takes some time to get used to as the flame control is slow. So if your after a snow melter or something to heat up MRE's in the foil it's great, but for omelets not good.
GB.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hi Weiman,
The Trangia multi burner was/is a good burner, but it's kind've let down by the Trangia pans even the bonny new duossal will weld food to the pot when turned up high. If using the two together its really best as a snow melter for winter use. As a carefull cooker it takes some time to get used to as the flame control is slow. So if your after a snow melter or something to heat up MRE's in the foil it's great, but for omelets not good.
GB.

Really? the beauty of using a Nova/Omnifuel/Booster/111T et al with the Trangia setup is its flame control which runs from a nice simmer to full on for snow melting. I've used this setup for some years now and have not spoilt any food. Standard Trangia frying pans are poor though so use either a non stick or a non stick flan dish to fry on.

Here's a Trangia clone using a modified Optimus 111T burner

DSCF3192.jpg

DSCF3178.jpg

I'd go for and Omnifuel or cheap Chinese Booster clone rather than the Trangia burner as you can run them on Coleman type fuel/paraffin/gas; it takes only a couple of minutes to fit but you still retain a stand alone stove should you wish to use it without the Trangia.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Rik,

I've never had a problem controling this type of stove, but you'd be amazed the amount of mates and customers who took ages to get used to it. Most comon thing was turning it down/off without realising it and then having probs waiting for a relight. I think a miss spent youth with classic primus and MSR type stoves just trained us better ;)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I have the Omnifuel mounted in the trangia set and its a real performer. Simmers well and an enormous amount of power when needed.

I've had problems with it though going out on simmer.

3 things I learnt were; to always use good quality fuel, keep the stove clean and to use the primary valve more.( Closing it almost shut and using the simmer valve to do fine adjustments.) Basic stuff really but I needed to learn for myself in the field,

My new Omnilite used to cough and splutter a little on simmer until I ran it for four hours on max melting snow-it now purrs like a dream. :)

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Despite being a big pressure stove fan, when it comes to Trangias, I'd stick with the gas burner. Zero hassle and you won't melt the pans. Superb controllability, and if the cylinder gets low, you can us the low one for simmering and a fresh one for boiling

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Despite being a big pressure stove fan, when it comes to Trangias, I'd stick with the gas burner. Zero hassle and you won't melt the pans. Superb controllability, and if the cylinder gets low, you can us the low one for simmering and a fresh one for boiling

Ain't melted a pan yet with any fuel.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
So looks like you took off the three pan supports ?

Are they permanent when you buy the gas stove ?

Cheers

Pretty much so. This is the stove I used...

chinbnr_zps25050ed4.jpg

The plate between the spring and the legs keeps the legs in place, but also lifts a little against the spring to allow the legs to fold together for transport. If you unscrew the burner head frome the copper coloured base the whole assembly comes apart and the legs just lift out of the base. The burner head and base can then be re-joined using some form of adaptor to fit the Trangia base. I used a clone of a Tran burner with the top cut off and a hole drilled in the bottom, and a few air holes around the sides. Adaptors are available to fit bnrs into Trangias.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE