Multi-Tools for Bushcraft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
I carry the Leatherman surge all day every day. Imo it can't be beat if you don't mind the weight. I carry it in an after market spring clip that makes it a much smaller profile than do the bulky cordura or leather options.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Reactions: Billy-o

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I’m a gerber fan myself and the 600 series, I had one for the past 20 years and the thing I like most over the leather man which I also own is the one hand opening for the pliers, the overall profile and weight is smaller too!

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
There might be others and perhaps even better, but I am used to a Leatherman Wave -older model. I really think that having a tang, saw and scissors is worth the weight over a SAK.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The best multitool for bushcraft is the Victorinox Compact. The Victorinox Climber is very well too.

Pliers and screw drivers are only needed for bicycle use, ski bindings, modern snow shoes and similar technical equipment.

If you don't make wire snares you don't need a Lestherman or whatever for usual bushcraft use.

Reactions: Billy-o

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
The best multitool for bushcraft is the Victorinox Compact. The Victorinox Climber is very well too.

Pliers and screw drivers are only needed for bicycle use, ski bindings, modern snow shoes and similar technical equipment.

If you don't make wire snares you don't need a Lestherman or whatever for usual bushcraft use.
You don't need a multitool at all for Bushcraft. However since op said bushcraft/survival, there are quite a few situations in which a multitool with said functions could be of use.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Reactions: eraaij and Billy-o

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
May be.

I just wanted to point out that a usual beginner should invest the money somewhere else.

There aren't so many screws in usual forests, and a Leatherman is a pretty heavy brick in the rucksack.

Reactions: TLM

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Victorinox Outrider and pair of sprung needlenose pliers. Just another option. :) You could clip a fauxton, a loupe and some sliver grippers to it. You could run a MASH unit with that set up.

I have a LM Charge, which I more or less regard as an ornament, but lots of people here really rate them for camping. The LM Juices were OK, but they be gone now.

The Victorinox Spirit and SwissTools are great. Get the socket set with it and a clip of tools. Same wiht the Leatherman. Those socket sets are really handy. But not for bushcraft ... unless you need to tinker with the car a bit.

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Tried them all over the years, Gerber (used to be great) Leatherman (same) and now its the Swisstool which is a world above the former.

Good multi-tool is invaluable in the woods and anywhere to be honest. Aside from the usual tools for fixing stuff its the pliers that cant be missed.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Multitools are for urban bushcraft not wilderness bushcraft. I carry one most of the time and it has saved the day a few times. I have carried it while trekking because of the amount of tech one carries nowadays. Take everything to bare essentials and one does not need one anywhere else than the urban jungle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erbswurst

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Aside from the usual tools for fixing stuff its the pliers that cant be missed.

I've taken that view and, to tick that plier box, I usually slip a Leatherman Skeletool in to my pack on longer outings to the woods and elsewhere. It's a whole load lighter than the usual, even more modest Leathermen and isn't cluttered with a range of tools that I know I'll never need or use. Although it isn't required for bushcraft per se, it has been very useful for repairing stoves and, yes, for those (admittedly few!) occasions when I've made a snare.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
As snare hunt is interdicted in Germany and I use a streamlined basic equipment I survived pretty well without pliers in the woods during the last 45 years.
My pots have bails and butterly handles attached.

To be honest, even Victorinox Compact or Climber are mainly useful because of the well stored nail scissors.

The rest of the tools is only needed if one touches the civilisation if travelling, but than it is the most handy item I know.

And most people aren't kicked out of an airplane and walk through a jungle during the holydays, but visit from time to time a little town too. I don't live of blueberries and forest mice.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I think we're getting off subject as I wanted recommendation's for a Multi-Tool if I chose not to carry a pen knife, for either scenario.
And of course Multi-Tools have a Use in Bushcraft as I don't carry Pliers in my Bergan or trousers pockets.
cheer's

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE