multi tool (or not) help please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rain man

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2006
London
Hi, I have been whittling down my gear and have come to another tough decision making point. Which also may mean I get to buy a new peice of kit. Bonus!
I like to carry a small blade, a small saw and an awl for trap making and general bush crafty uses around camp. Also I currently have a small pair of pliars with wire cutters which are used when snare making, fishing etc. So was looking around for a multi tool which has all 5 features without too much else. Am I on the right track or are there better options? I have read that some people aren't too enamoured with SAK awls. I saw the leatherman juice had all the bits but was a shocking price (and shocking colour). I own a Leatherman Wave but it's not got everything I need now.
Can you please give me your opinions and insights into what you carry for these tasks etc?
Many thanks!

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
My Blast muti-tool is always with me, well almost always I don't take it to bed, unless I'm wearing trousers in bed. Extremely useful pliers, scissors and file plus glasses screwdriver.
Alan

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Me - I never go anywhere without my Leatherman Wave (original type) - given to me by Tim Leatherman himself!
I have lots of others dotted around my varios kits (key ring, canoe pack, van etc) but the Wave is always in my pocket!

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'm indecisive whether or not to get a Wenger Hunter (knife, skinning blade, bottle & tinopener, awl, saw and corkscrew), or make due with an old Victorinox (present from dad 20 years ago - so I hate to lose it). Personally I've never had the need for pliers or a bunch of screwdrivers (which seem to have an abundant omni presence on multi tools) ...

Moved thread to Edged Tools btw.

dj77

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2010
South West, UK
I have the Original SuperTool which was always on my belt until the knife laws changed and I had to search for various other gizmos so I could still carry out on the spot repairs if need be.

stekker

Forager
Aug 21, 2009
holland
I have a Victorinox Swiss tool and it has served me many times!

28homlw.jpg

Theo

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
there are some great stuff you can do to mod your wave so that it has an awl as well, if you do a google you will see what i mean.

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
Just to help you out on the cost front: I can't really add anything to what the other guys have said about which multi-tool will suit you best, other than to say that I agree with all fans of Leathermans (I describe myself as an addict, having just bought my SEVENTH).

However on the cost front, my latest urge was for a Juice XE6, most places in the UK sell this for around the £90 mark but after quite a search I found it on amazon.co.uk for £65 (£69 incl. p+p), better but still not within my budget. Then I tried going to Ebay.com in the US as opposed to in the UK but there is a bar to shipping permitted purchases from the US to accounts in the UK if the items aren't permitted for sale on Ebay over here (someone else has raised this point recently I think). As a final flash of inspiration I checked with amazon.com in the US and they had the same model (with a choice of colours, unlike the UK offer) at the equivalent of £40 (roughly). Even adding in shipping from the States and pre-paying customs the total still came to a few pence short of £54. The only drawback was that I would have to wait approx two weeks for delivery, so I bit the bullet and ordered it.

I placed the order in the small hours of New Years Eve. I signed for it just before midday on the 4th of January!!!!

Just to compare, at the same time I ordered a belt case from the UK, this was delivered today, 24 hours after the multi tool. The multi tool came from Arizona and got here ahead of the case coming from Wales, and saved about £15 into the bargain!

HTH

Sean

Rain man

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2006
London
Thanks for ur help. I decided to be brave and take a file to the smallest flathead on my wave and I now own a very sharp little awl. yay.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Thanks for ur help. I decided to be brave and take a file to the smallest flathead on my wave and I now own a very sharp little awl. yay.
glad you found what i meant mate, the mod i done on my wave to make an awl, now i have everything i need.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE