Multi-tool oil / lubrication

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Quick question for the British bushcrafters out there,

What oil/lubrication do you use on your multi tools? Mine are getting wet almost every day at the moment (be it from sweat or rain..) and they are getting to the stage where they NEED cleaning and oiling.

I have walnut oil that I use for bushcrafting blades that I also use for food prep (food safe oil), WD40 that I use when sawing and that's about it, 3in1 oil that I use for things like secateurs.

I have looked around and seen that Victorinox make a branded "multitool oil" but it costs an arm and a leg so is anyone aware of any cheaper alternatives?

Cheers, Smith :)

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
I use something called 'Rexoil'

It comes in a can, and is a lubricant and a corrosion inhibitor. The fork lift truck guys at work use it on their lifting chains and swear by it. I've used it for years to coat stainless steel outdoor light fittings in, and I've never has any of them show signs of corrosion either.

I got it from the industrial supplier Brammer, and it wasn't expensive (sub £10 for a large can IIRC)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
WD40 is a cleaner so by allmeans clean it with WD but then oil it with 3in1.
I have a gerber in perfect nic used almost daily and its 12 years old.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I just drop a drop of 3in1 every now and then and clean with water, if it gets overly minging then wd40 on the joints to push out the water then when dry a drop of 3in1 again, works for me,

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
If they get really gunged up then dip them in a lickle bath of white spirit or turps, clean the difficult bits with an old tooth brush,(you can also after this wash them with washing up liquid, then rinse in very hot water) dry with toilet paper then a light coating with southy's 3in1.....bicycle chain grease (comes in small tubes) works too if you need a little more protection......remember less is more......I wouldn't advise veg oils on metal though.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If they get really gunged up then dip them in a lickle bath of white spirit or turps, clean the difficult bits with an old tooth brush,(you can also after this wash them with washing up liquid, then rinse in very hot water) dry with toilet paper then a light coating with southy's 3in1.....bicycle chain grease (comes in small tubes) works too if you need a little more protection......remember less is more......I wouldn't advise veg oils on metal though.

Whats a lickle bath? a new one on me.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Does stainless steel rust then otherwise ? Didn't think it did ?

Cheers, Paul

All steel, even that sold as stainless, will pick up some corrosion to some degree. It depends how many iron particles have found their way into the mix when the chromium was put in. With crappy Chinese made low quality household stuff, well, QA isn't going to be wonderful.

I have outdoor lights from B&Q, Chinese specials, and they are notorious for picking up corrosion and staining - it's what they reguarly get downgraded for on the reviews. Mine have no signs of that however as I keep them lightly coated with this stuff. It seems to stick to it and not get degraded by weather.

I have one of the very first design leathermans also, purchased in the 1980's, and despite a hard life and having the blade point snap, it is corrosion free. I would imagine having good QA on the steel helps with that.

I also coat my carbon steel blades in the Rexoil spray, and dont suffer corrosion when they get laid up, so yeah, happy with it.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Guess I was assuming all stainless was created equal. Makes sense that it wouldn't be though as you say. Interesting !

Cheers, Paul

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Guess I was assuming all stainless was created equal. Makes sense that it wouldn't be though as you say. Interesting !

Cheers, Paul

No worries Paul, I work with a bloke whose degree is metallurgy, and he can spin some fascinating tales just about metals composition, grain structures etc. The geek in me loves litening to him go off on one!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE