Mud Ovens

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The youngest twi and I made a mud oven today in the side of what started off as a test pit (a very barren one unless you like modern broken glass).

Currently it is drying out and I need to put a handle on the lid of the Italian Cake tin / drum we have used for the oven part and a shelf to go inside.

Any advice on using it?

Pic of it minus lid while we were burning off amy unpleasent stuff in the tins coating.

MudOven11.jpg

Cheers!

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The eldest did something like it but bigger in scouts a month or so back. Unfortunately the weathers turned crap here so we didn't get to use it in anger today as planned.

No doubt it will need repaiing when it stops drizling but thats no biggy.

The chimney ( formed around a smooth wrist sized stick that pulled out quite easily once we had piled on and tamped down the soil) drew well anyway.

ATB

Tom

Muddyhands

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2010
Wiltshire
I have used one a few times. Only done breads and fruit pies never quite trusted myself to do meat but sure it would work fine. I tend to check little and oftern that just leaving it as the heat can variy on each oven. Also I find that if you can use something to lift whatever your cooking off the base as it can burn the bottom. I use a baking tray or a oven grill but a couple of dry stones would also work.

Enjoy a great bit of kit

Chris

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
After two weeks out in all weathers we finally got to try out the mud oven.

ovenmud2.jpg

After the middle son had made some repairs where it had cracked we pre heated it for about 10 minutes then baked some oat and cranberry bannock to try it out.

After 20 minutes it was done, although the eldest had been over enthusiastic with the flour to stop it sticking so you can't actually see it's done in this pic'.

ovenmud3.jpg

Unfortunately we had to rake out the fire then and go off and do something else so we didn't get to do anything else.

Not bad but I much prefer the Aussie camp oven, given the choice.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE