Mt. Hood Oregon, USA

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
On Saturday I headed down the closed road to clear lake on a clear quite day. We made good time the dog and me; the snow was compact and swift. Once we reached the campground I melted some snow and we were off around the lake. Making good time and half way around when it happened. It came from behind me out of nowhere the sound of a chain saw moving a 70 mph, and it brought friends. The three snow machines left quickly enough but not before leaving me with the thought I had not gone far enough.

After returning to the truck I felt as if I still had not found the experience for which I had come to the mountain. The Twin Lakes trail off of the PCT proved to provide such an experience. From the start the snow was compact and easy going. After the first 1/8 I de-snow shoed, and the paces quickened. I quickly became cognizant of the still night air, the movement of polls and my feet in time as if they were tuned by a fine German engineer, and the soft crunch and crack of the snow under foot. Even the dog seamed to understand the moment with which we were in. He followed close and quite seaming to mirror my movements almost as if they were his own. This is why I journey to these places, for that serene other worldly feeling that only come when you are truly in the place you are. After completing the loop at last I was done for the day.

We hopped in the truck and traveled to the snow park off skyline road, here we would call home for the night. After cooking dinner, cleaning and stowing gear I await the next day to come. It got cool somewhere in the 20’s and though there was ice on the inside of the glass staying warm was not an issue for I had come prepared.

Sunday morning was over cast with a dull chill in the air. We headed to the Trillium Lake snow park. I prepped the dog and my gear and down the trail we went. Again the snow was hard packed and the snowshoes were not needed. There were few people on the trail to the lake. We stopped for a rest on the snow-covered dock. It gave me time to soak up the grand view of the mountain and peaceful silence that in a few short hours be filled with the sound that travel with descending masses. I decided on the way out that is would be the last hike of the trip after we past the 75+ people heading down the trail. It was time to take the emotion and mind set of this trip and return home grateful that I was able to be in the place I was if only for a short time.

See all the pictures at http://woodswalkernw.blogspot.com/
3.jpg
4.jpg
12.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE