MSR - Pocket Rocket?

Jan 6, 2013
Earth
Hi.

I've been watching/reading reviews on the MSR Pocket Rocket, which from what I've seen and heard, it sounds like a pretty decent kit. I'd like to here from you guys on what do you think on the MSR Pocket Rocket? Preferably from one who has used or tested the stove.

:pirate:

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Its a lightweight, bog standard little gas stove. I've had one for a fair few years, always seems to give me good performance. There are plenty of cheaper clones about, that I would imagine (but I can't Verify) have a fairly similar performance.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I've got one, I think it's great. I tend to use my honey stove as first choice but the pocket rocket is powerful, reliable, lightweight, small and fairly priced.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Nothing special by today's standard, just trading on the name, the little £8 Vango will do the same job for you, save yourself a few quid and go for that.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I like my Pocket Rocket. Dependable little stove, highly controllable, and if you turn it up it gives a fierce flame. I've no experience of the more modern clones, as my Pocket Rocket does what I need. I've had it years and found it very dependable. A bit on the unstable side, but that's a criticism of any stove of this type.

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have one and its a great stove. Works every time without fail and burns well.
Its the only stove i have ever had or needed so not had much to compare it to.

Last edited:

mholland

Jan 3, 2013
cheltenham
I've been using a coleman F1 Lite for about 6-7 years and its bomber. Its slightly more powerful than the msr, and folds up smaller. I like it because it fits in my pan unit better. They're £15 at go outdoors at the moment, tempted to get a spare!

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I've had one for years. Well built, works well and fast boil. The only thing i could compare it to was a MSR Dragonfly which if was trekking the world would be a better and more versatile option.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I have a cheap clone version, all good but prefer a remote feed for gas stoves.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
I like the Pocket Rocket; mine serves me well. Like others have stated above, there are other choices with different price points.

To help stabilize the Pocket Rocket, a fuel canister stove and lantern stabilizer is a great bit of kit. Here is the one I use:
DSCN2425-1_zps21e31d05.jpg

My Pocket Rocket in use with a USGI Canteen Cup:
DSCN2660_zpsfd4b6756.jpg

Heating up some beef stew on my tailgate:
DSCN2427_zpsf0826e70.jpg

Here with a couple of stoves:
DSCN0646.jpg

Here with my "truck tote":
DSCN1098.jpg

Gordy

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I have the MSR Micro-Rocket, the Hi-Gear Titanium Blaze, Hi-Gear Inferno and a cheap £3 Chinese PR rip off.

I have to say, the Micro Rocket is my least fav out of all these. It's fierce and noisy and the flame is very concentrated, almost blow-torch like, and it was the most expensive.
The Hi-Gear Titanium is much better value and around the same size (although slightly heavier believe it or not).

Best value has to be the £3 clone. My only regret is knowing that some kid has slaved in a sweat shop to make it! How else can they make something this good for so little money?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE