MSR Dromedary Bag ~ How do you get rid of the plastic taste?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Antonymous

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2012
Yorkshire
I've washed it out with washing up liquid, but it still tastes of plastic.
What have you done to get rid of the taste?
Or do I just have to live with it?

Cheers mi dears

Antonymous

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2012
Yorkshire
It's a couple of years old, but only used a handful of times and always dried merticulously. It always tastes of plastic.
I'd just like to know what someone has actually tried successfully.

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Had mine years. Didn't really notice the taste until my dad complained once. No idea how to get the plastic taste out. My still has a plastic taste years later. Got used to it and doesn't bother me too much but you do really notice it compared to plastic or glass bottles. BiCarb might do it as it works well with flasks.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've got white mould inside mine and I'm struggling to shift it, bicarb and milton won't touch it, I'm thinking mild bleach next time but I don't want that taste. I'm annoyed because I've always tried to make sure it was dry before putting it away, one more attempt and I think I'll just buy another one.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Not had any plastic taste from mine. to clean it when I got it and also my camelback bladders I use denture cleaning tabs, works a treat. I also store them in the freezer which stops mould growth, a darn sitght easier than trying to make sure they are 100% dry

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
I use Trigene. Its used by vets for cleaning surfaces (and cheap from vet suppliers). Just remember to rinse out after with fresh water.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
me and SWMBO bought a couple of the osprey bladder bags a few weeks ago and they nada really strong plasticy taste. put a couple of tea spoons of bi-carb in them in warm water and a couple of drops of lemon juice and left for a couple of hours. both are fine now, even with water left in over night.

Nagura

Mar 23, 2014
Ireland
I have the MSR dromedary bag and it was fine until it was out in strong sunlight on a canoe trip. The taste of plastic appeared very strong and I have tried bicarb of soda and Milton separately but to no avail. Would make you think about all the speculation about toxins leaking from plastics 😝
Like baggins tip on lemon juice, maybe the acid will kill the taste... Worth a try

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE