MRE's

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hard to say with any real authority. I ate loads of 'em on active duty and since. Some menus are better than others. But the problem with commenting is that they change the menus every two or three years to alleviate monotony.

They also produce some ethnic menus (notably vegetarian ones) for humanitarian distribution to the local populace in areas with religious dietary restrictions.

What menus do you have?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Menus 13 to 24, 12 packs in total. Is it true US squaddies are supposed to eat 3 MREs per day. In other words, 1 MRE is one course.

LOL. Those are all new menus I haven't tried yet. but most of them look good IF! If you like those items in a home made setting. It'll be interesting to see how they do the Sloppy Joe? It's normally served on a hamburger bun in civilian life. Chicken and dumplings is probably a far cry from home made also. Bear that in mind when you try them all. they won't be like true home made versions of the same dish; rather like a store bought canned version.

And yes, it's true; one MRE equals one meal. In the field you're normally issued three per day unless they can serve at least one hot meal for morale purposes. Few US troops actually consume the entire MRE; most will find something or other (usually among the drinks or condiments) that they don't use.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The main meals are OK, the 'milk shake' is or was dire but the cake and crackers were nice. Not tried them for several years now, I think I have a couple of main meals somewhere.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
LOL. Those are all new menus I haven't tried yet. but most of them look good IF! If you like those items in a home made setting.

And yes, it's true; one MRE equals one meal. In the field you're normally issued three per day unless they can serve at least one hot meal for morale purposes. Few US troops actually consume the entire MRE; most will find something or other (usually among the drinks or condiments) that they don't use.
Thanks for that, just what i thought. Luckily i got these FOC but if i had to buy them i'd probably stick with the Brit ones, just for financial reasons.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks for that, just what i thought. Luckily i got these FOC but if i had to buy them i'd probably stick with the Brit ones, just for financial reasons.

Yeah. Likewise I want to try the Brit and Canadian ones; but import cost is prohibitive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE