Mr. Tom Brown Jr.'s Courses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ChrisM

Jan 8, 2009
Surrey (but may move in 2009)
Dear All,

I wonder if I could ask you please?

Have any of you as yet had personal experience of Tom Brown Jr.'s (and colleagues') Tracker School courses in the USA, and, if so, which, and how have you found them and the experience, the attitude/approaches (e.g. inc. pleasant/gung-ho/calm/egotistical/gentle/militaristic/civvy/etc.), the instructors (naming no names please), the quality and coverage etc., and additionally perhaps by comparison with UK Bushcraft tuition, coverage, approaches, attitudes, course content, and depth, including (but not limited to) with regards to the 'Scout' coverage and levels of skill, adnd/or the philosophical approaches?

All the Best!

Chris.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
I suggest you do some Googling on Brown. He's a pretty controversial figure -- been caught out lying about his experiences -- among those who care about him in the US.

And those who care about him are in the minority: he's really not a blip on the screen here. Tons of better places for lessons.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
He tends to attract "True Belivers", and IIUIC is these days teaching more sprituality than bushcraft. Based on his books it appear to be mostly Northern Plains stuff placed in an Apache setting.

But he did "rekindle" the prim skills field, which is worth something regardless.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
there used to be a review somewhere on here from someone who'd been on one of the tracking courses. Very picture heavy. I think they said there were close to 90 poeple on the course.

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
You could try tacking a look at Trackways, based here in the UK. I believe Thomas Schorr-Kon has trained extensively with him. He may be happy to answer your questions.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE