MPV cars based on a van model?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Are they any good?

Berlingo, memo, hipper, partner, etc. Citreon and Renault but others make them.

Need a car slightly roomier than my Astra estate but only got £5000 and want a diesel and reasonably new at least 2009.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I wouldn't get too hung up on year. A VW is going to out last any Citroen.

We just part ex'd my Wife's 2006 Sharan for a 4x4. At 4 to 5k with 70k it's done no work. Many are used as cabs and run up a quarter million miles.

It has been an absolutely brilliant family motor and we have all agreed we will miss it.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
One of my brothers has a Berlingo, can't remember exactly which it is but its the one with the bigger slightly less techy engine. Supposed to be more reliable than the smaller engine that's got more bells and whistles.
Its a great car, very spacious inside.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
A lot of local taxi's here use Fiat Doblo's because they are reliable and cheap to run. Fold the back seats down and you could sleep in the back on a mat. My wife commutes 40 miles a day in a Doblo and has done for almost two years, its never been off the road because of breakdown.

A mate has a Berlingo she rates highly also.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
I hate French built vehicles. I have always thought them to be unreliable and expensive to repair. However....My dad swears by his Berlingo. Its cost him nothing but fuel and servicing to run. Its cheap on fuel and being a diesel its cheap to service. He has done moon and back miles in it, which is very apt as he travels the country doing rocketery displays. You may have seen him and his Berlingo on Richard Hammonds Engineering Links. Dave Beeton was the Rocket expert when they did a rocket motor comparison test about 2 years ago.

About 2 weeks ago he was up on Arran visiting us. He left my step mums brand new car and took the Berlingo as he knew t would breeze the 1000 miles he would be doing while on holiday.

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Got a berlingo
Second I've had , first was a bit of a pig TBH.
Picked up the second a 53plate 1999ltr HDi (get approx 50 MPG)for less than a grand. sailed through it's Mot except for a binding caliper and a broken spring(bloody pot holes)
From what I have seen the Berlingo has a better styling than the partner but not as good as kangoo. May be just the models I have seen in the MPV side.
But they way to look at it is. They all get used for taxis now so are reliable and can do high mileage. As for servicing have found no more expensive than a VW if kept on top of.
Good hunting.
Bob

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
We've had 2 citroen picassos. Not a van as such but you can remove the back seats completely. (At least in the original model. Not sure on the new shapes)

Built for families in mind. Never had a problem with reliability.

I know lots of people that have had problems with peugeots though. And I personally wouldnt go near a Fiat as I was prejudiced against them as a child. Although I'm sure they must be better now.

M

I had a 2002 berlingo with the 1.9 diesel, was an excellent car until the back axle collapsed!!! I did not know that newer cars don't have springs :confused: they have this axle in axle thing :( bring back the Bedford HA, you could fix that with bad language and a hammer.

I also used it for work as well as supplies for the small holding and i killed it in 5 years, am now going in the other direction and have got a 2010 kia soul and a very nice ifor williams trailer, animals, food and tat go in that and clean people in the car. My sister has an old kia rio and, one of the first out and its still going with just £88 of welding this year to get it through the MOT.

I was also very bad at limiting what i carried, when I took all my stuff out if the berlingo my mate weighed it and it was just under 450kg most of which I had hidden away in the cubby boxes and hidey holes and had not looked at for most of the time I had the car.

I was going to get a new berlingo but hated the new shape, so much plastic that could get broken off. I am very happy with the soul deisel and on the 16 inch wheels its very good in muddy fields as well.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
My wife had a doblo for her painting & decorating buisness, ran like a dream, had 130k on the clock when we sold it, over 2yrs ago & its still running around. They are huge, infact it was the only "car" on the market that would hold my custom made lintran dog box, that was made to fit my toyota hiace... now if you want a good reliable van, get a toyota.

Rob

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Had a Partner + Renault Kangoo Trekka 4x4, very good vehicles, very practical, eoonmical, comfortable, versatile reliable. Both very good in winter too (Partner with winter tyres). Think the Renault was better built, more solid fittings. Treated with respect (like most things) they are good vehicles.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've checked out Citroen cars. A new C3 Picasso costs £30 a year ved but the brand new C4 costs £20 a year despite being the larger car.Amazed how fuel efficiency improves so much. Since ved is related to co2 emissions which is related to mpg then I'm guessing in this case the C4 mpv car is cheaper to run. well unless the insurance is a lot more.

the new berlingo cars are nice but the second-hand ones I've seen are battered. Looked like they'd had a hard life. if that's because they're taxis it would explain it. don't like the look of . some van based cars. the Citroen nemo looks ugly.

Anyone got or tried a zafira? The one I saw looked good. not as big as the van based cars but still bigger than the arts
astra estate I have now. Not sure I like the handbrake. It isn't the simple lever bar like most cars and vans but a sort of handle. A bit like the flaps lever on a large plane. it is a rectangular handle if you know what I mean. The guy showing it to me in the dealership said the newer models had an electronic handbrake. Anyone heard of them? Are they reliable?

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
I have a t4 and am selling it in favour of a Peugeot 806 hdi,as it's better on fuel but still quite roomy,the missus has a 2 year old touran deisel and it is uncomfy and not that good on fuel,also when you knock the key fob it can sometimes drop the rear windows down.
with the 806 I can take the seats out and use a Air bed ,thinking of tinting its windows and getting a portable hook up using. Leisure battery in a plastic toolbox,and putting the cigar lighter sockets in its lid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE