mountain warehouse Everest down sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I bought this because I've been trying to scale down my pack size without compromising on a good nights sleep.Here is the shops description and technical specs.

http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/Sle...16/p19867.aspx

I've used it a few times now and so ,here is a review of it.
The bag is very light at 1.7 kg and fits into the bottom of a Berghaus vulcan with an issue bivi bag along side it,uncompressed.Fully compressed it will probably fit into a side pocket.
The bag is made using a box construction which ensures that the down filling has enough room to loft fully and not migrate around the bag.
The first time I used it I noticed that the bag is made wider at the shoulder and chest area than any standard mummy bag that I've used.This really does make a difference if you have a very large chest as there is room to move inside it,although just a little less than an issue dossbag.
The materials are very comfortable and don't give that cold feeling when you first get into the bag.The bag is very well constructed,but I have had a very small amount of small feathers stick out of the seams .This may have been because the feathers were very small or the bag settling in.
The bag is VERY warm(and so it should be) and very comfortable,a common problem to lots of sleeping bags is the zip snagging as you do it up or open it.The zip does snag occasionaly but not that often.There is a shoulder baffle ,a hood baffle and a zip baffle,all work perfectly.
The biggest drawback with any down bag is the loss of insulation when wet for this reason I would always use a bivi bag , but that applies to any down bag.
I found the bag to be warmer than my issue dossbag for less than half the weight and less than half the bulk.This is not really a fair comparison as the two bags are made from different materials.In defence of the issue bag most synthetic bags of the same season rating are close in weight and bulk.

PROS
good price £89.99
light 1.7 kg
Small pack size approx18 x 30cm uncompressed
warm and comfortable with plenty of room

Cons

It has bright yellow panels at the head and foot(not really a problem )
As with any down bag useless when wet

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
When looking at various synthetic/down sleeping bag manufacturers websites, it seems to me that synthetic bags are less bulky, but heavier, and the down bags are bulkier but lighter.
Is this true?

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Is this bag not made especially for women? That would explain the larger chest area of the bag?

From the website: "The extreme rating is a survival only rating for a 'standard' adult woman".

Anywho, looks like a good bag, especially for the price.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
The temperature ratings for all sleeping bags are based on a standard woman,where they found one I have no Idea they all seem different to me.
Or maybe it is a womans sleeping bag and my feminine side is showing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE