Mountain trekking kit = bushcraft kit??

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
Hello,

What do you think of when you hear "bushcraft"? Do you stay in one place or trek around? Is there a definition of bushcraft or something?

I usually go trekking in the French and Swiss alps for 1 or 2 weeks and this is the kit I use:

Lowe Alpine backpack 70+20
RAB quantum 400 sleeping bag (very good but down is fragile...) + cotton liner
Multimat sleeping pad
Hilleberg XP10 tarp
US army poncho as ground sheet
Primus omnifuel stove + MSR cooking pot + plastic spoon
Camelback 3 liter bag + hose + 0.5 liter fanta bottle cut in half as drinking cup
Fallkniven S1 + SAK with wood saw and scissors + army fire steel
Silva compass, maps and Petzl tactikka light
Merino wool socks and t-shirts
clean underware (don't laugh! :) )
Buffalo special six shirt as warm sweater and rain gear
Fjallraven greenland trousers and TNF tibetan hiking shorts
Montrail or Lowa boots
food for about 1 week (longer trips need resupply along the way)
toilet paper and first aid kit
Wash and shave stuff
Packtowel

I think that's about it. Does this qualify as a bushcraft kit list? What do I change and why? What am I missing?

Also: how do you carry your knife? I have it in the lid of my pack because carring on my belt is uncomfortable with the hip belt of my backpack. How/where do you carry it?

Thanks,

Bjorn

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Bjorn Victor said:
Hello,

What do you think of when you hear "bushcraft"? Do you stay in one place or trek around? Is there a definition of bushcraft or something?

I normally stay in one place, but this is purely practical, as trekking around isn't quite possible. (Bound to certain places where camping is allowed). But if I was, for say, Sweden I would trek around. As if it only was for enjoying and exploring the area.On the otherhand, if you've got a nice quiet and beautiful spot, why trek around.

Do what you want to do - stay or go as you please.

I reckon (IMHO) being on one location or trek around isn't a criterium to define "bushcraft".

clean underware (don't laugh! :) )
:lmao: :lmao: ;)

I do too mate, we're not savages - are we? :D

I think that's about it. Does this qualify as a bushcraft kit list? What do I change and why? What am I missing?

Well I guess if things work for you, it doesn't matter what you carry. There is no such thing as a definate bushcraft kitlist that contains things you definately must have.
But you can have a look at the kitlist thread to get an idea of what most of us carry.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=734&highlight=kitlist+request

At first glance though I saw you don't use a biviouac bag (or: bivvy bag, to put it short). Not really essential - since you have quite a large format tarp. But can be handy to either upgrade your sleeping bag (don't think you need that) or protect it against the wet.

Also: how do you carry your knife? I have it in the lid of my pack because carring on my belt is uncomfortable with the hip belt of my backpack. How/where do you carry it?

I carry my knife baldric style (knife in sheath, paracord attached to sheath in a manner it fits around my body over my right shoulder and going under my left arm - hanging a bit loose).
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=554&page=2&pp=10&highlight=baldric
In this way I can carry a rucksack with hipbelt and still have acces to my knife (Same technique Ray Mears uses). If carried under a jacket it's not noticable for the public (if you wander into someone in the woods, you don't scare the living daylights out of them) - though during transport to and from bushcraft locations my knife will be in my rucksack wrapped in my sleeping bag, being not directly available (legal issues, etc).

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
Indeed, I do not use a bivvy bag. I have one, but I get wetter with sweat than mist or dew. I do not see the use for a gore tex one under a basha. I also have an Outdoor Research sleeping bag cover. Breathable and windproof (not waterproof) on top and waterproof underneath. That's a better option, but even that I do not use much. 600 g is a lot of weight if you have to carry it for 1 or 2 weeks... :)

Why do you guys use it? Do you get wet under your basha's?
Most of you use synthetic Nanok bags, so humidity should not be a problem under a basha... Correct me if I'm wrong...

Bjorn

sabre iom

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
Isle of Man
Which lowa boots do you use bjorn? as i do a lot of trekking during my 'bushcrafting' i have never thought of them as that different , i trek then i set up a camp. Sometimes i stay for a day then move on, i use more mountain style kit than bushcraft , soft shells, mountain style bags , tent and synthetic sleeping bag etc. Although i have now bought a hammock and am looking a tarps to lighten up my load when i know i will be stopping in an area i can use them.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Bjorn Victor said:
Do you get wet under your basha's?

Sometimes :)

When I'm traveling abroad, sometimes for months at a time, I will whittle my gear down and use more 'performance' materials just so that I end up with less weight on my back. but I will always have a bivie bag, either for when that sudden storm distorts my basha and dumps a few gallons of water on me, or for 'stealth camping' when I'm forced to stop and sleep near civilisation.

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
Which lowa boots do you use bjorn?

I use Lowa Tibet boots. Heavy but they protect your feet very well.

Although i have now bought a hammock and am looking a tarps to lighten up my load when i know i will be stopping in an area i can use them.

I set up my tarp with trekking poles and rocks or pegs if there are no trees around. Set it up low to avoid vertical rain and too much people seeing you

Bjorn.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
I would suggest an emergency/space blanket when travelling in the Alps. You seem pretty well covered for generating heat and insulation, but if anything goes wrong, the blanket is both a good insulator and a signalling device. Not only for yourself, but you might encounter people that are in trouble. You won't believe the number of people that hardly carry anything up there.

Those blankets take up almost no room - I always have one with me when travelling in the mountains.

Sounds like a great trip!

-Emile

sabre iom

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
Isle of Man
Thanks for the info Bjorn, they look a good boot, i'm retiring my berghaus pair and was looking at the lowa and scarpa models that are out this year.
As for the tarp setup i really must practise some different ways to get the full use of it.
Have some good trips this year guys!

Kirruth

Forager
Apr 15, 2005
Reading
www.bayes.org.uk
Looks pretty bushcrafty to me. I pretty much go with the definition on the front page of this site, about bushcraft being essentially about feeling comfortable in the natural environment. So whatever gets you there is alright :)

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
Bjorn Victor said:
I set up my tarp with trekking poles and rocks or pegs if there are no trees around. Set it up low to avoid vertical rain and too much people seeing you

Bjorn.

Of course I mean horizontal rain! :rolleyes: Wind driven rain.

I set up the tarp with the back end on the ground and the front end held up by and A-frame made by 2 trekking poles.
Works in the worst weather.

Bjorn

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE