Mountain ( International ) Rescue.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
It does look fun and I'd love to have a go but I don't think I'd get the job. It reminds me of my SCUBA diving instructor, an old Naval diver, who pointed out to us that if we wanted to earn money through diving after qualifying, we'd have to learn a trade as well. "No one pays you to dive, they pay you for what you can do when you're down there!"

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
It does look fun and I'd love to have a go but I don't think I'd get the job. It reminds me of my SCUBA diving instructor, an old Naval diver, who pointed out to us that if we wanted to earn money through diving after qualifying, we'd have to learn a trade as well. "No one pays you to dive, they pay you for what you can do when you're down there!"

It always stuck in my head that with reference to Deep Sea Divers - You can get someone back from the surface of the Moon quicker than you can from the Sea Floor if Saturation Diving .

Amazing. And Dangerous.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
That looks a wonderful way to kill a parmedic.

Why not test them on sportive people first?

Like they did with hang gliders, -used to be dangerous, now its a lot safe due to improved training and equipment.

Tengu `Cant fly-Dont need to fly`

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Suddenly , I want to be a Mountain Rescue Air Trooper.

Yes, it's stunning isn't it, ninety seconds to get up a mountain to attend to a casualty, just excellent. And if the maximum run time is only five minutes, the 'rocketeer' or should that be 'jeteer' has plenty of time to jet back down.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
That looks a wonderful way to kill a parmedic.

Why not test them on sportive people first?

Like they did with hang gliders, -used to be dangerous, now its a lot safe due to improved training and equipment.

Tengu `Cant fly-Dont need to fly`
I daresay a paramedic will be well trained before they are let loose with such a useful piece of equipment, where who says paramedics aren't sportive.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Yes, it's stunning isn't it, ninety seconds to get up a mountain to attend to a casualty, just excellent. And if the maximum run time is only five minutes, the 'rocketeer' or should that be 'jeteer' has plenty of time to jet back down.

Yes.

But I'm assuming these things don't run great in less than perfect weather?? Just wondering what the margin of risk/exposure would be with a bit of a squallish weather.

Reactions: SaraR

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
And that is when they will be needed....

I guess its about options and extra Tools for the Toolbag of mountain rescue.
When the weather is fair and speed is of the essence - use a Jet pack.
If its blowing a hooley and you cant use the Jet Pack , get yomping.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I think it will certainly save time and is far cheaper than a helicopter which is the current option!
Paras normally carry a huge rucksack of kit. i wonder how they are going to carry kit and the jetpack?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
As I understand it they won't be carrying a full paramedic kit - just the life-saving bits such as a defib; stuff that saves lives if you get there quick.

I wonder with the increases in Drone ability if they could Drone a more comprehensive kit to a Paramedics location once they have found and stabilised the patient?

( This is all getting very futuristic ! )

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Nah, futuristic would be tele-transporting the patient into a spare hospital bed (the spare bed being the science fiction part of course).

Even relatively low-cost drones have a 'follow me' function these days - depending on the payload the capability is already there. Or, as you say, maybe they send up a drone with specific kit once the patient is found. Again, go to position functions are common, so no-one would have to actually fly the thing.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Nah, futuristic would be tele-transporting the patient into a spare hospital bed (the spare bed being the science fiction part of course).

Even relatively low-cost drones have a 'follow me' function these days - depending on the payload the capability is already there. Or, as you say, maybe they send up a drone with specific kit once the patient is found. Again, go to position functions are common, so no-one would have to actually fly the thing.

Yep. Kinda my point. :)

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
:D Great! Low level-jets practising all over the National parks, crashing into cliffs and bowling over innocent walkers :lol:

Don't much see the point of jetting up if you can't do anything to get the patient back down the hill once you get there. Helicopters is best, especially if you are already running them in the area for all sorts of other purposes.

Not against it at all, but this thing is just an ad for a super-fun rich man's toy

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
:D Great! Low level-jets practising all over the National parks, crashing into cliffs and bowling over innocent walkers :lol:

Don't much see the point of jetting up if you can't do anything to get the patient back down the hill once you get there. Helicopters is best, especially if you are already running them in the area for all sorts of other purposes.

Not against it at all, but this thing is just an ad for a super-fun rich man's toy

I guess you can locate the casualty , stabilize the casualty and call in exact grid location for a ground team ( or air team if then available ) to come to the rescue.

I admit I do wonder how difficult these things must be to fly. And there can only be a few very limited ways to safely learn how to pilot it without actually Piloting it in real terrain. Maybe on a tether?

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Rivals Jetpack Aviation offer a two day course with their JB10 jetpack for about $5000.
When the next training session will take place exactly is up in the air waiting for FAA approval...

The Frightful

Apr 21, 2020
Essex
I wonder with the increases in Drone ability if they could Drone a more comprehensive kit to a Paramedics location once they have found and stabilised the patient?

( This is all getting very futuristic ! )
Looked into load carrying drones as a method for the swimming chaps dry bag towing issue on here. Glad i researched it before posting as about 15k for a 10kg payload but thats a whole lot cheaper than a helicopter to transport extra medical kit

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE