Mountain bike set ups?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Looking for some inspiration really from anyone who uses their mountain bike to delve deeper into the wilderness. I want to start 2017 off with a few good trips so set ups, recommendations and locations would be greatly appreciated.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
How much experience do you have, and what equipment do you have now?

A lot of people using a bike to travel off-road are going for what amounts to elaborate stuff-sacks strapped to the handlebars (like this https://www.alpkit.com/products/airlok-xtra-dual-20-litre) and under the seat.

There are also devices like huge bottle cages that can fasten to your forks but those depend on having the fixings on your forks.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
How much experience do you have, and what equipment do you have now?

A lot of people using a bike to travel off-road are going for what amounts to elaborate stuff-sacks strapped to the handlebars (like this https://www.alpkit.com/products/airlok-xtra-dual-20-litre) and under the seat.

There are also devices like huge bottle cages that can fasten to your forks but those depend on having the fixings on your forks.

I am in the market for a new bike at the moment however my camping set up is as light as i wish to go with a tarp, hammock, cook kit, jet stove and sleeping bag. As for experience I am a casual biker looking to spend more time outside into the new year.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I don't do off-road myself. If I did (and I keep having a hankering to do a bit of exploring), I'd be looking at Fat bikes, rather than the sporty stuff. Most of the sporty MTB's are aimed at going fast off-road. If you want to get into wilderness, you need to be able to cross any terrain. That's what fat-tyred bikes were designed to do.

Rather than have fancy suspension, they have big, fat tyres. Minimal impact on the terrain, and they can cross soft ground where lots of other bikes can't. The original was the Surly Pugsley (I have a friend who owns one of those), but they have become more popular and there are cheaper models. There are places that hire them out so you can try before buying.

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
I don't do off-road myself. If I did (and I keep having a hankering to do a bit of exploring), I'd be looking at Fat bikes, rather than the sporty stuff. Most of the sporty MTB's are aimed at going fast off-road. If you want to get into wilderness, you need to be able to cross any terrain. That's what fat-tyred bikes were designed to do.

Rather than have fancy suspension, they have big, fat tyres. Minimal impact on the terrain, and they can cross soft ground where lots of other bikes can't. The original was the Surly Pugsley (I have a friend who owns one of those), but they have become more popular and there are cheaper models. There are places that hire them out so you can try before buying.

Good point , I seem to see a lot more of those about these days .......

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
yep i have to say fat bike are well worth considering. dont be tempted to carry a large rucksack on a mtb it can make for some dangerous situation such as harder to shift your weight and crash impacts will suck. i dont think full suspension bike will be suitable as its very hard to put any kind of a load on them but you will get a nice soft ride. if your planning on riding on tar roads may be consider a semi fat bike which have thinner but still big tyres.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Came to recommend Bearbones Bikepacking, but Andy beat me to it.

Ill one up him though and give you a direct link ! http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB3/

Depends how small and lightweight your gear is. My personal setup is a 28 litre rucksack,a drybag on the handlebars in a Wildcat harness with tent, and bits'n'pieces in a bag below my seat.
Total capacity about 39 litres. Enough for summer use one/two nighters.

My personal tip though, is make sure your bottom can handle more than 1 day in the saddle. My first overnighter was fine, the ride on the second day not so much...

Last edited:

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
That's nice thing is if I was going to spend that I'd be really tempted with a dropper post. This one is a 29er and I find the tyre capacity is so huge I don't find it that much of an issue, not compared to my road bike anyway :)

shindig

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2013
Scotland
I mostly use my fatbike for bush-biking. A Surly pugsley. Great bike. Carries a lot of gear. I also have a trailer and sometimes take my ebike.

A suspension seatpost is a must. Makes distance cycling more comfortable.

You can see my setup on my blog http://doricdiversions.com and some more photos on my Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/DoricDiversions/

989d9dd35b970becb7eb7b80691efa4d.jpg

b4bf083dac35e4ce105f02ff03e2283b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
would be a fat bike with a gear hub for me. oh im going weak at the knees just thinking about it.

So am I, but I venture to suggest that my weakness has a different cause than yours :rolleyes: They look as though they'd take some work to move along, 'though I'm no cyclist.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Interestingly enough the research that has been done says they're actually quite quick, as the tyres are so huge they deform over objects/irregularities in the ground which takes less energy that riding over the top of them.

shindig

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2013
Scotland
They are surprisingly nimble and roll along very well. Much easier than you'd expect. Due to the bigger wheel and tyres deforming, they roll over stuff easily.

And weight wise they are about the same weight as an average mountainbike. They do become a bit harder to pedal if you put on aggressive treaded tyres though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE