Mountain Bike + Camp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ddave489

Mar 20, 2014
Gateshead
Hi all,
I was hoping to pick your brains, as soon as the weather picks up I'm hoping to pack my rucksack, jump onto my mountain bike and go on a mini adventure. I'm guessing Scotland would be the best for this because I'm planning on wild camping. Preferably I'd like to park the car up, cycle off road for somewhere between 5 and 10 miles then set up camp for a couple of nights (somewhere near a loch preferably so I can try and catch some supper) .
I was wondering if anyone has had any similar trips before or could point me in the right direction of anywhere they think would be suitable.
Cheers Dave

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
>>> rucksack,<<<
I was wondering if anyone has had any similar trips before or could point me in the right direction of anywhere they think would be suitable.

Panniers (generally bike luggage) would be a wise move ~ high centre of gravity, hill climbs, corners, bumps, sudden stops and so on aren't best bed fellows ;)

My main form of transport is cycling but I'm not yet at the point of being a bikepacker :eek:

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
How about the Moray way? A lot of it is very rural & I think you would have no bother camping, the Dava way has a small Loch near it where I believe fishing is free . I think you would have to get off the train at Aviemore and do the route over a few days. I used to live there its a lovely part of the world.

Some info here: http://www.moraywalkingfestival.co.uk/moray_way.php

Dec 18, 2008
Durham.
I agree with S_C_R about BOB trailers. I borrowed the original Yak version back in the nineties when I was bikepacking a lot. Very expensive but you can carry a lot of kit and still ride your MTB like an, er, MTB.
For occasional use maybe a https://www.vidaxl.co.uk/p/90285/bi...-luggage-bag?gclid=CPK3vc-u3cICFanMtAodlw8AMg might suffice.

It's a great way to cover distances whilst carrying large kit.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Dave,
You may want to have a wee peek at the likes of Sustrans.org.uk As well as some ideas on kit they have maps and ideas of places to go. A couple of years back I did the northern part of route 7 which links Inverness to Sunderland. (I only did between Inverness and Glasgow.) On my mountain bike with panniers. I didn't follow the route exactly as there were a few things I wanted to take in. The route is mostly back roads and the maps/routes have heaps of additional info to make planning and camping easier.
Hope you have fun,
GB.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
I personally prefer using a handle bar harness and a small rucksack (28l) and keep it light. Find that for some places panniers are too wide and catch on bankings etc. It also keeps a bit extra weight off the bike for when i need to carry it. But it all depends where your going what the track/trails like. Though thats in summer,probably need the extra space of panniers/trailer if your planning on colder weather.

Might get some ideas off of the trip section here http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB3/

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
The beauty of the BOB trailers is that it will follow the bike wherever you go. The only real restriction is the width. So if you can fit the handlebars through a gap in trees then the trailer will fit. It does not really effect the performance of the bike and you have a back free of kit. They have a big drybag so great for kit.

The group I assessed did 6-7 hrs biking a day for three days.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Personally, I try to avoid having any weight in a backpack when cycling if at all possible, the exception being my camera to isolated it from the worst of the vibration. Panniers, bar bags, saddle bags etc... all really help shift the weight. Having extra weight on your body just makes your saddle more uncomfortable. Alpkit make a good range of bike luggage.

I have converted my Brompton for touring, and carry most of my luggage in a 35l alpkit dry bag, attached to a carridice SQR rack under the saddle. This is plenty for a couple of nights if travelling light. It should work with a mountain bike if you are sensible.

Julia

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
Try to keep the weight down to a minimum
Even without a trailer going uphill is a pig
With a trailer your still pulling all that weight and will tire quickly

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
If you want some decent bike soft luggage on a budget, take a peak at uraltour on google. I've got one of their seat packs and was very impressed.

bearbonesbikepacking is also a good one for google.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Galloway Forest Park maybe, lots of big and small lochs with fish, forest roads and tracks good enough for a car.

Perhaps park at the southern end of Loch Doon initially, there are a couple of houses at this end, would be worth asking where it is safe to park and leave a car unattended for a couple of days, local residents are pretty helpful if you ask them politely, there is an element of somewhat noisy\messy campers at a particular area of Loch Doon at some times during the summer months, they can easily be avoided-hence my suggestion to ask locals for advice.

The park is generally very quiet and safe and there are discreet patrols on the look out - contact the visitors centre in advance for info. Please do not let my comments put you off, all national parks etc. have areas where more party atmosphere minded people tend to congregate, and Loch Doon is a very big loch, it can be as quiet as you want it to be.

Lots and lots and lots of trails to do, explore further into the park by car to find new parking spots, endless places to camp with a bike.

It is also a 'dark sky' area and has a Dark Sky Centre (cannot remember exactly what it is called).

http://www.gallowayforestpark.com/

rorymax

Last edited:

ddave489

Mar 20, 2014
Gateshead
Thanks everyone so much for your suggestions, the bob trailers do look really good but a little pricey for us at the moment. Lots of areas to have a look at thanks all and a merry xmas

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE