Moughton Whetstone Hole(photo heavy)

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
I called in at my local surplus outdoor shop this morning (Boyces of Nelson he doesn't have a web site) for another pair of Mil-Com patrol boots. They're warm light waterproof cheep and comfortable and with two pairs on the go usually last a good couple of years anyway I spotted a one off backpack.Yes I added another to the collection maybe someone can identify it from the photos x3 crowns then 90 8888 on underside of top flap.It was a good excuse for an expedition. I'd come across this :-

Moughton Whetstone Hole, Crummackdale.Grid ref: SD784718
Lat: 54:08:31N (54.14192) Lon: 2:19:52W (-2.33116)
The Moughton Whetstone is a concentrically banded, (red/purple and green), mudstone that was quarried to make whetstones for the Sheffield razor industry.
http://www.straightrazorplace.com/f.../42502-catalogue-hones-based-area-origin.html

So parking up at Horton-in-Ribblesdale railway station I set off along the footpath to Moughton Scar passing a well camouflaged sign post on the way looking back to Penyghent
1camoflagedsign.jpg

It must have been here a bit because that's 1 3/4 Miles ! If I'd have had red sunglasses on the scars would have looked like I was on Mars even with the stunted Juniper bushes
2scarstandingstones.jpg

Next is a photo of the haversack frame above the Whetstone hole and one of the top flap at the ruins at the bottom of the scree
3crushertopofscar.jpg

4bag3crowns.jpg

Does anyone know what the haversack is ? Brew up and Risotto mushroom and sild in T.sauce for dinner
8Crusherhammer.jpg

Here's a view back at the ruin note the handy spring coming from the Whetstone hole
5streamruinsscar.jpg

and some of the Whetstone itself
6wettstone.jpg

Didn't see a soul all day and a walk back in the sunshine gave a perfect sunset over the scars as I dropped back into Horton-in Ribblesdale.The haversack passed with flying colours no problems
cheers all Danny

Last edited:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Great pic's and place Dan, with answer to your question re the rucksack pretty sure its a Swedish post war 35l, the one that replaced the canvas and leather version,i think it can also come in a larger size, could be wrong on the details but pretty sure its ex Swedish mil surplus.ps wouldnt mind one, looks in great nick.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Looks like an interesting place.I have to admit a small peice of the stone would have found its way into my bag!
As for the rucksack,those three crowns i see alot on swedish army gear...

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Hi Dan- great thread as always.

I did a bit of digging for information on the whetstone and I am sad to say that I couldn't find out a great deal of information.

I can say for certain that it is Silurian in age (443-416 million years ago) - most of the information I found is covered in the link you provided. I found quite a few papers on the subject - but I am unable to access any of them.

all the best

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE