Most useful trees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
If i were fortunate enough to be able to plants 3 trees in my back garden it would be
A Pine
A Willow
A Hazel

The have Medicinal uses, Provide Nuts to eat and have utilitarian uses as well

If i could have a fourth it would be Maple or Silver Birch, mainly so I could tap them every March

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
We've got a fair bit of hawthorne on our boundaries, I like it, although I'm keeping it in check...

I think we're leaning to nut trees at the moment, thanks for all the input everyone goodjob

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
We've got a fair bit of hawthorne on our boundaries, I like it, although I'm keeping it in check...

I think we're leaning to nut trees at the moment, thanks for all the input everyone goodjob

I imagine you're thinking of nut trees native to the UK rather than the pecan tree I suggested. Either way I wonder if your trees share a trait with the pecan; namely that you have to have at least two of them in reasonably close proximity in order for them to bear fruit (nuts) In any case it's worth researching any particular species you're thinking of.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Some trees will self-pollinate, others are self-sterile so you really must have a second one close by, as santaman points out.
The same is true, even within some varieties of apple = another variety must be planted with the one of greatest commercial interest.

Me? Other than fruit-bearing bushes (Lonicera, Amelamchier, Vitis riparia grapes, Cherry and a couple of poor apple trees), I would be listing the
characteristics of the trees which make them "multipurpose plants."

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its even more complicated than that with apples. You need to understand self fertile vs self sterile, diploid, triploid, tip bearer, spur bearer etc.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I think that enough's been written elsewhere for the apple enthusiast to find.
Other than the fruit, multipurposes requires destruction.
I worked on the microscopic anatomy of apple grafts = success or failure? Why?
Got into the sub-tropics, should have stayed there, citrus apomyxis fascinated me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE