Most used knots?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Figure 8 on the bight - Alternative to bowline, I find this much easier to tie.
Funnily enough, I'm the exact opposite :D I can do a bowline in any condition - although need to do it one handed if really tired, because that's how I first learnt to do one.
But to do a figure of 8 I actually have to take a moment to think of what I want to achieve. Super embarrassing really! :D I blame the fact that I only learnt to do that one in my mid-20s when a friend took me climbing, whereas the other knots I know, I learnt as a kid and used to spend hours doing them on bits of rope when "bored".

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
Funnily enough, I'm the exact opposite :D I can do a bowline in any condition - although need to do it one handed if really tired, because that's how I first learnt to do one.
But to do a figure of 8 I actually have to take a moment to think of what I want to achieve. Super embarrassing really! :D I blame the fact that I only learnt to do that one in my mid-20s when a friend took me climbing, whereas the other knots I know, I learnt as a kid and used to spend hours doing them on bits of rope when "bored".

I learnt the figure 8 on the bight through climbing and it became second nature, it was difficult to explain to my wife how to tie it because it just happens. I only learnt the Bowline last year and it performs much better than the figure 8 but I have to think about it.

Reactions: buckfynn and SaraR

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I can't do the figure of 8 without thinking hard about how to do it. Bowline I can do without thinking but without doing it I can picture of being tied in my hands, if that makes sense. Basically beyond second nature!

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Thanks a lot to everybody!

It's very interesting to see what most people use.

I didn't receive notifications that you did answer here, by the way. In my own thread!

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
A bit late to this thread.
I find truckers hitch reliable and simple for many uses, as is the halter hitch (I use this rather than the Siberian hitch). I use midshipman's hitch for guy lines but sometimes I find it can slip.

Buntline is a great knot but can be hard to untie.

My favourite is the marlin spike hitch. From this I can tie the bowline, or set up the loop for a truckers hitch.

I also love the clove hitch and arbor knot but don't use it them that much.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Maxsdad

Feb 22, 2015
Morpeth
I first learnt to do it one-handed, so for a long while I could only do it like that! Decided it was time to learn to do it two-handed after having grown tired of having to lean out over the gunwhale of the sailing ships a few times too many. I'm still faster one-handed though.
I was taught to do it one handed by an old scout master who said that i would need to learn it that way if i ever fell down a cliff ! 30 years later i can still only tie it one handed ! ( i have never yet had to use it having fallen down a cliff though )

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I've had to research the name of these knots, I use them loads but didn't have a Jeffrey what they were called.

For tarp setup, I use a quick release knot on the ridge line, prusiks to attach the tarp to the ridge line, and either quick release knot or half hitch on guys depending if it's tying to a tree or peg respectively.

For fishing, tying hooks is usually the half blood knot. Sometimes it is a double surgeon's loop on lures for extra movement, sometimes a smell knot if I'm using circle hooks.

I also use a double (sometimes triple) surgeons loop for creating fixed paternoster rigs. If you create a big enough loop you can create multiple hook rigs easily.

General knots that come in handy are half hitch, overhand knot and overhand loops.

I can get by with just these easily enough, wouldn't like to manage without any of them!

Larry Robinson

Nov 4, 2021
Planet Earth
I was taught to do it one handed by an old scout master who said that i would need to learn it that way if i ever fell down a cliff ! 30 years later i can still only tie it one handed ! ( i have never yet had to use it having fallen down a cliff though )
Quite correct. There are undoubtedly one or two situations where it would be handy -indeed, essential - to be able to tie a bowline singlehanded. Fortunately, those situations almost never arise.

It is a nice skill to acquire, but definitely takes a back seat to learning to tie a bowline the conventional way.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I was a waterman from time to time. Bowlines in net rigging cannot be jammed shut under any circumstances, same for reef knots.

I have a little repertoire of knots for lure fishing, the rod & reel sort of a day. Can't remember the names for any of them. Maybe 4 or 5 at most. I've even made leaders from graded mono with barrel knots. I have a text book of fishing knots but a Bimini Hitch is something that I'll never need. Very good commercial fishing stories out with clients for big game fish.

I have Des Pawson's Complete Visual Guide to Knots.
That one needs to be on your Christmas/Birthday wish list.

What I really enjoy doing the most (needs a fid) are rope splices. Especially the ends when I get into the rhythms for tensions. The big joke is that I can never ever recall how to do the Crown Knot to get started without looking it up!

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Having not paid much attention I only started to think about knots and getting good at them when I started sailing. Bushcraft-wise I fettled and thought about what I needed and for tarps I Evenk one end as it is quick to do but also quick release. I then pay out the tarp and finish it with a truckers hitch but with 2 turns around the bight, an adaptation I picked up from a YouTube channel called Corporals Corner. That allows it be to remain tensioned before finishing off the knot.

A quick bowline seems to do me fine for most things. I like the fact you can undo it after it has been under strain.

An oft overlooked diversion is lashings. The lashing advised for the Hennessy Hammock system is excellent and does what they say it is good for... supporting the weight and being able to undo after strain.

My new thing is jungle knots. Early days but liking the quick release and ease in the wet and dark.

Plenty of videos on YouTube about them.

Reactions: Minotaur

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Dave: neither of those knots appear in Des Pawson's book.
What I suspect without knowing for certain is that they are regional names. Very well could be in the book but listed by some other name.
Reef knot and Square knot. To me those are synonyms.
If you track down Mors Kochanski's you tube channel you'll find he was extremely fond of the jam knot, especially for use in 550 cord. Well worth a look.

Last edited:

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Having not paid much attention I only started to think about knots and getting good at them when I started sailing. ...
An oft overlooked diversion is lashings. The lashing advised for the Hennessy Hammock system is excellent and does what they say it is good for... supporting the weight and being able to undo after strain.
Oh, that brought back memories (from sailing on tall ships)! :D Another good thing about lashings is that you can adjust the tension easily by feeding out and taking home the line, while having full control of the suspended item at all times. I've used it when setting up tarps in nasty high winds.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Off topic,,,,,couldn't resist.
for DWH
I have never seen that before, it certainly looks right for the job.
The arrangement works on principles similar to Ashleys Quarter-pole hitch.
Regards
Ceeg

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I would agree that tying a bowline one-handed is more of a trick than a practical skill. With few exceptions, bowlines are used not merely to tie a loop, but to tie a loop around some object.
The bowline and the double figure of eight done this way are normally taught when climbing. You cling on one handed and then tie it with your free hand so it does make a little sense as a rescue knot.
These days I seem to be clapping-on Constrictors more than anything else, left , right and centre. I find the Boa at least an equal to a Double Constrictor in grip, though possibly not quite as flexitile.
Regards All
Ceeg
Be really careful with the constrictors as they can stick and should only be tied in stuff you are willing to cut.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE