Most used knots?

• Hey Guest, We've had to cancel our 2020 Summer BushMoot PLEASE LOOK HERE for more information.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Figure 8 on the bight - Alternative to bowline, I find this much easier to tie.
Funnily enough, I'm the exact opposite :D I can do a bowline in any condition - although need to do it one handed if really tired, because that's how I first learnt to do one.
But to do a figure of 8 I actually have to take a moment to think of what I want to achieve. Super embarrassing really! :D I blame the fact that I only learnt to do that one in my mid-20s when a friend took me climbing, whereas the other knots I know, I learnt as a kid and used to spend hours doing them on bits of rope when "bored".

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Melbourne, Derbyshire
Funnily enough, I'm the exact opposite :D I can do a bowline in any condition - although need to do it one handed if really tired, because that's how I first learnt to do one.
But to do a figure of 8 I actually have to take a moment to think of what I want to achieve. Super embarrassing really! :D I blame the fact that I only learnt to do that one in my mid-20s when a friend took me climbing, whereas the other knots I know, I learnt as a kid and used to spend hours doing them on bits of rope when "bored".
I learnt the figure 8 on the bight through climbing and it became second nature, it was difficult to explain to my wife how to tie it because it just happens. I only learnt the Bowline last year and it performs much better than the figure 8 but I have to think about it.

Reactions: SaraR

Paul_B

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 14, 2008
Lancashire
I can't do the figure of 8 without thinking hard about how to do it. Bowline I can do without thinking but without doing it I can picture of being tied in my hands, if that makes sense. Basically beyond second nature!

Erbswurst

Native
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Thanks a lot to everybody!

It's very interesting to see what most people use.

I didn't receive notifications that you did answer here, by the way. In my own thread!