Most unusual item in your kit.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Carabiners are dead handy ... I always have one attached to my ruck.

Dutchman said:
Stew said:
I wondered what you lot have as your "unusual" item(s).

- Petzl quickdraw (= 2 non locking carabiners + express sling)
- DMM carabiner (twistlock)
- 3 mtr sling (unstitched)

Comes in handy for many tasks :cool:

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
As a young teenager I used to carry a bullwhip around.
It was redundant from when I was re-braking in some problem horses.
It was great fun to play with, I used to be able to take flower heads off at 10 paces. :-D
Going to start carrying one again for fishing. Very useful for over enthusatic bulls and bullocks, that come a' Nosein! Great for loads of other stuff to!

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
It'll probably take your weight but in a fall I wouldn't trust it. Even the mini Krab sold for carrying your keys will take your weight, enough for an abseil! (Yes we've tried it, although with a back up belay on too!)

To be honest I wouldn't like it as part of a climbing anchor, even if it was able to load bear. Would you want a knife blade that close to your life line?

I wouldn't mind using it as a gear krab though! :twisted:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Yes, it's the shockloading that they can't take ...

There was a time, way back, when I used to use old reject carabiners from a local manufacturer to lift engines and tow cars. Considering how rough we treated them, they used to put up with the punishment well!

Stew said:
It'll probably take your weight but in a fall I wouldn't trust it. Even the mini Krab sold for carrying your keys will take your weight, enough for an abseil! (Yes we've tried it, although with a back up belay on too!)

To be honest I wouldn't like it as part of a climbing anchor, even if it was able to load bear. Would you want a knife blade that close to your life line?

I wouldn't mind using it as a gear krab though! :twisted:

woodsitter

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2004
Amsterdam
come on boy's, you can use any tool for only one thing at a time.
When you use this comi carabiner as a carabiner,. you can't use it for anything else, so the knife part is useless, unless you treat the whole thing as a knife and use the carabiner part to 'store' your knife somewhere on your gear. To do this it does not need to be load bearing at all.

It looks cool, but its a gadget, nothing more.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
When you use this comi carabiner as a carabiner,. you can't use it for anything else, so the knife part is useless, unless you treat the whole thing as a knife and use the carabiner part to 'store' your knife somewhere on your gear.

:?:
:-?

Surely that's true of any multi-function tool. I can't use the pliers on my LM wave if I'm using the saw. If I put the saw away, I can then use the pliers. I don't think they used a carabiner as the base of this tool just so that's how it is "stored".

woodsitter

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2004
Amsterdam
o.k. it sounded maybe more stupid then intended :wink:

I just imagine myself hanging in some tree or cliff of whatever on a rope and my combi carabiner, when some very urgent need of the knife occurs…just quit hanging for a while?
:roll:

I don’t mind combi tools. But whether I use my victorinox as a knife or a saw, I have it in my hands and my job at that time is to cut of saw something, open a bottle, turn a screw or whatever. I use my hand for it, it’s the main task at that time etc.
You can combine a knife with a saw and a screwdriver, you can combine a tent with a sleeping bag, but if you combine a pot handle with a tent peg you have to chose between camping and cooking and that is quite stupid. If you use your rope as a belt you have to climb with your pants down. If you combine two things you might need to use at the same time for different things is a bad combination.
I think this carabiner-knife-screwdriver is a bad combination.
Hang it on you belt, you might even use it but I hope you never have to depend on it.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
:-D You should talk to Antarctic Fire about setting up belays - he's a master!

:rolmao:

(He's so trusting of his set ups that he won't even clip in to it, in case his second falls off!!)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
you guy's been watching "vertical limit"? :shock: :lol:

i am just about to do SPA training and Mountain leadership, we have been told by just about every instructor
NEVER NEVER NEVER
carry a knife when climbing!

you should never have to cut a rope! ever! thge whole systems are now set up with various safe ways of escaping the system without cutting anything!

remember "vertical limits" was made by hollywood! :rolmao:

plus i never carry anything "non load bearing" on my harness just incase in a panic i used it by mistake:yikes: !

i have several "fake" key ring carabinas that i don't take climbing anymore!

i would say the carabina shown is fine for fixing rucksacks together or for hauling gear or a means of prehaps even fixing a hammock but, i wouldn't trust it in a fall! :shock:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:lol:
on sale in milletts front window today i saw on sale....guess what?

a carabina / radio!!! :shock: :rolmao:
:roll:

yet another way to make a potential disaster! :yikes:

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Hi.

Anyone comes near my rope with a knife and its more than the rope that will get cut. Very poor rope craft if you cannot escape the system i always carry 2 prussik loops. Decent ropes around £100.

When i started down at Swanage i had a brand new rope that got caught by a wave and dragged into the sea. 2 days use and 50m was cut down to 20m. Was not best pleased. We live and learn.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
Hey Doc - are you still active on ham radio?
I've been having a go for a while - was looking at an Elecraft KX1 for doing pretty much exactly what you've said. Something different to occupy some time sitting in a tent in winter.
Never thought about gold panning before. Didn't ocur to me there'd be much gold about in the rivers here in the UK. You've given me ideas!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE