Most surplus bit of kit...ever

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
I would like to know the most surplus bit of kit you have ever bought. The most useless and frankly 'don't need' bit of kit, that you just had to have!

Go on...we've all done it...(and a lot of us still are!)

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Kim said:
I would like to know the most surplus bit of kit you have ever bought. The most useless and frankly 'don't need' bit of kit, that you just had to have!

This one is so easy, but so personally embarrassing to admit.
It's the next piece of kit that I purchase! :yikes:

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
OOh a High Gear inflata pillow! about an inch thick self inflating pillow, utter pants i might as well use a mars bar as a pillow :roll: looks like its a new toy for the hounds now :naughty:

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
An Arktis folding kipmat...
I didn't read the dimensions properly and thought this would be the ideal kipmat for a lightweight setup. When it got delivered in a giant binbag and almost didn't go through my front door I soon realised that I had made a boo boo!!
Good if you are car camping not so if you are using shanks pony.
It does fit into an large army burgen but only just!!

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
One of these......

SURVIVAL_CARD.JPG

Totally useless bit of pressed stainless steel. :rant:

This is the write up

If you were to carry only one tool in the world, this should be it. It has a razor-sharp cutting blade, can opener and reamer, nail claw, screwdriver, magnetized compass, wrench slots, saw, ruler and mirror finish on the back (for picking those bugs out of your teeth). Complete with instructions and vinyl carrying case - this stainless steel tool fits nicely in your wallet, as it is the size of a credit card. YEAH RIGHT !! :nana:

zen

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2004
Dorset
I'll take a bit of a liberty here and say it's my sense of "Self Importance".

I carry it with me everywhere but it's completely useless :rolmao:

jakunen

Native
Guess mine has to be a rupert...

Or one of the those 'wunda' can opener/bottle opener things that places like Millets sold a few years ago.

They were great for opening tins and bottle.

So long as they'd already been opened.

1st time I used it, the thing bent double and snapped in half.:***:

After bandaging my thumb it took me about 20 minutes to find where the pieces had landed and another 5 explaining the the warden what all the swearing and shouting had been about.:oops:

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
It has to be those "survival knives" with the bubble compass in the end ... if you can survive one of these, you can survive anything!

What can I say, I was a kid!

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
One of those small pack towels marketed as a compact replacement for the real thing. Seems to me they must be made by the same folks that make raingear.

Although towel-like to the touch, they seem to repel liquids with some alacrity. You do eventually dry your body, but this is a process not dissimilar to using a squeegee on a pane of glass.

jakunen

Native
zambezi said:
One of those small pack towels marketed as a compact replacement for the real thing. Seems to me they must be made by the same folks that make raingear.

Although towel-like to the touch, they seem to repel liquids with some alacrity. You do eventually dry your body, but this is a process not dissimilar to using a squeegee on a pane of glass.
:rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao:

Forgot about those! The green army pertex one or the blue ones that come with a mesh washbag thing?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE