Most Iconic Ration Food

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
BTW: It is not easy to search for this info on the Internet as the search engines prefer to throw up references to 'Soya linked to cancer' etc. But references are there if you look.

ATB

Paul

Try adding -cancer as part of the search string. Will remove all the search results with 'cancer' mentioned.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
bacon grill great memories from 6 years in the cadets still have it now but not as good as ration pack stuff also biscuit browns with paste mmmm

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Try adding -cancer as part of the search string. Will remove all the search results with 'cancer' mentioned.

Hi Colin, I knew about them but they don't really fit the OP's question, Dad and two uncles were in the army in WW2 and step dad was RAF WW2 but I only remember mom talking about them to be honest. Ration history is one of my more obscure interests (WW2 in general to); my lad did a School project on them so he is as bad as me :( So, I've 'come out', Richard is a bit of a ration geek. Being born only eight years after the war ended with family all in the forces, me playing on the 'bombers' (bomb sites in brum) and instead of having cowboy outfits we used ex army kit which was all over the place from the shed to the Anderson shelter, tin hats, leather jerkins, battle dress, berets, ruck sacks, gas masks/case, mess tins, billy cans, primus stoves para smocks (wish I had those now they would fund two weeks in the sun) etc. I just about remember mom clearing out a load of canned stuff from her moms, meat, coffee, fruit that mom acquired from a war time dalliance with a USAF guy she had a fling with. Story has it that a jeep full of food turned up at gran's and she hid it all over the place because hoarding was against the law back then, up the chimney, under the floor boards and up in the loft. I also remember dad coming home with a case load of canned Players cigarettes, 50 to a tin around 1968 (one of the Apollo missions was on telly and I opened a can for him) he'd got from somewhere which he happily puffed away.

There are one or two really good sites about American army rations from the Civil War through to MRE's.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Oct 24, 2011
My favourite food to take with me is Anzac Biscuits thay are realy easy to make and thay keep for about 8 months in a airtight contaner.
1 cup dryed fruit (optional)
1 Cup Rolled Oats
1 Cup Plain flour
1 cup Suger
3/4 Cup coconut
125g Buter apox
1 tbsp Golden Syrup
1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp Boiling Water
Mix all dry Ingredience together
Put Buter,Syrup in pan on low heat till melted
put 1 tsp Bicarb in cup add 2 tsp Boiling Water
add to pan of buter syrup it will fiz up add to dry mix and mix in well
put on greased baking tray about 1/2" thick put in preheat oven mid heat till light brown 20-25 min aprox
cut in to squares leave to cool it is soft at first and get harder with time. One 2"x3" squares is the same as a full meal.
It takes about 10min to make 20min to cook.
I hope you injoy it as much as I do.

Oct 24, 2011
P.S Anzac Biscuits were made in WWII by Housewifes for the troops fighting in North Africa as thay where High in Energy and kept for a long time as in could take months to get there by Ship. Thay got the nickname Anzac Biscuits after the Anzac campaign. Do not eat to much at once as thay are about 2000 cal' each 2"x3" squire.

Chasing Rainbows

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2011
Central Scotland
ICONIC BRITISH ARMED FORCES WW2 rations please.......... don't drift off topic lads. UK rations did change over the course of the war and if lucky our lads traded stuff for K rations from the Americans but corned beer was used long after the war too and inclusive.

:eek: Sorry. I was hungry when I typed that. My mind wandered onto thoughts of sweeties and porridge.

P.S Anzac Biscuits were made in WWII by Housewifes for the troops fighting in North Africa as thay where High in Energy and kept for a long time as in could take months to get there by Ship. Thay got the nickname Anzac Biscuits after the Anzac campaign. Do not eat to much at once as thay are about 2000 cal' each 2"x3" squire.

Thanks very much for the recipe. They sound tasty, I'll be sure to bake some myself.

Oct 24, 2011
BRITISH ARMED FORCES rations for me it was always Ration pack (B) as it came with a Oat meal biscuit as hard as rock but mixed with the milk powder, water and cooked it swelled up to fill a mess tin full of porridge mixed with the jam ration the best. It also had Beefstew, Cornbeef and a Marsbar and Treacle pudding. All the others came with veg this and veg that and no Marsbar or Treacle pudding. I wish I could find out how to get my hands on that oat meal biscuit as I have only ever seen it in a ration pack. I do not know if it was used in WWII as I am not that old. But some of the packs I used had 1945 on the lid.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Used corned beef the other day for hash, question for everyone tho, what else do you put in your hash? i like a bit of onion myself.
bacon grill is EPIC!, sliced up and cooked over a fire, yum.

almost as good as fried egg and spam on toast.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Used corned beef the other day for hash, question for everyone tho, what else do you put in your hash? i like a bit of onion myself...

I make it like my Mom and Aunts used to make it; with corned beef, finely diced taters, and chopped onions. Serve it with a veg for supper or with eggs and toast for breakfast/brunch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE