Mosquito proof hammock liner question?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Ok, this might be a simple question and I'm just having a blonde moment!

I plan to use my Safari Hennessy hammock in India and to sleep in my silk sleeping bag liner.
I am going to permethrin my hammock bottom but still dont want to take the chance of being bitten through the fabric bottom by mosquito's.

So I plan to add another layer inside the hammock to sleep on. Something light and not to warm!

But what type of fabric shall I use? I want it to be tough enough that even the most hungry, strongest mosquito can't bite me through and yet light!

Any ideas folks?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Just looking for a material I can roll up and fit in me pack!

But what light material will be mosquito proof?

Thanks.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I believe the Safari models have a built in mosi net? - is yours the bottom entry or side entry model?

I was under the impression (can't remember where I got it - probably around here somewhere) that a mosquito has a straight proboscis-spiky-thing that can push through material, but only in a straight line, so that if there are 2 layers of tightly woven material then it cannot get through as the holes through the fabric are unlikely to line up.

When I went to Borneo I used a US poncho liner as a sleeping bag in my hammock - start the night laying on top of it, and crawl inside in the early hours when the temperature drops off. The key thing is avoiding resting bare skin against a single layer of fabric (and that includes the mosi net) that the little blighters can spike through.

I do wonder if the fact that I have a double layer hammock would be enough to keep them at bay, but wasn't curious enough to try it!!

I would think the permethrin would discourage them from hanging around on the fabric too! :)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Double layer hammocks will stop mozzies, so far I've not been bitten through my single layer pertex hammock either.

Pertex is very finely woven, comfy and downproof.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Last edited:

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Thanks. I have ordered three liniar metres ( 145 cm wide ) of ripstop coated pertex to use at an internal second layer.

Thanks for all the suggestions and info. Cheers!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE