Mosquito Hammock Netting vs. Scottish Midge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lostdog

Sep 23, 2004
Stirling
After a lot of careful consideration (and literally hours searching this forum) I have decided to order an expedition hammock from Mosquito Hammock. The only nagging question remaining is will the insect netting on the hammock stop a scottish midge?!

I know from this forum and speaking to others that both the Hennessy and Clark hammocks netting is sufficient to stop a midge but I haven't been able to find the same info regarding the Mosquito Hammock.

I know Space Monkey is a big fan of these hammocks perhaps he can answer this?

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
I used to have one of these hammocks until I got the magickelly sleep system (tm) and used it at one of the scottish meets last september as well as countless other trips last year. You have no worry about them getting in. The netting is really good and theres no worry of them getting through the net. Not for want of trying though! :D

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I agree with James. I have never encountered the Scottish midge but I did take my Mosquito Hammock on a 4 day outing in Puerto Rico to the rain forest NP and I will say that they have some of the most tiny nasty little mosquitos down there!! I did not have a problem with any getting in the Expedition hammock.
I did get bitten as often as my DEET would sweat off though! The little bugs seemed to love my taste. I am not sure the DEET wasn't regarded as some sort of salad dressing or exotic sauce to go with their meal when they were biting me! At least it seemed like I was bitten more than in the past. I must be giving off more carbon dioxide in my old age, perhaps more hot air:)
The Mosquito hammock was excellent and for the money, a great buy. Good luck and cheers!

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
I agree with Graham, i've been using my Magikelly net on n off for the last few weeks in the woods and haven't been bitten once. Its a great piece of kit.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE