Mosquito Advice Needed - Venezuela

peasantchurl

Banned
Jun 11, 2009
Hi

Anyone recommend clothing types , methods, repellant / lotions, after bite creams etc..... to prevent mosquito's bites while in Venezuela area of South America ?

Would appreciate if people who have tried and tested methods would post reply's.

Thanks

Last edited:

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Hi

Last time I was there it was late november early december and the mozzie season is over, spent 2 weeks in the jungle and not a bite (for me its a miracle, even in the UK i get eaten alive).

In past visits to the Amazon I always used DEET and it did it for me.

D:mosquitos::mosquitos::mosquitos:

leon-1

As the guys have said DEET is pretty much the best option as far as on the skin side of life. I have used the lifesystem stuff for skin and clothing (the exped 50 for skin and the exped 100 for clothing), it's also very good at removing leeches.

If you are sleeping out in a hammock you may want it washed through with permethrin or some form of pyrethroid, likewise with any mosi-net that you take. You can use pyrethroids on your clothing as well, but I never have.

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
Growing up in Florida deet is the best the closer too 100% you can find the better. Just be careful the stuff will melt some plastics. Stay away from dark woody areas. I would get up in the morning after sun up apply deet to all exposed skin wear light coloured clothing long sleeves and long pants. Try to get indoors before dark and for the first few hours then you can go back out. My parents gave me Yeast pills as a child don’t know for sure if it works or not. But when everyone else is getting bitten bad I get very few bites. Hope this helps. Good luck and enjoy.

Harley

Forager
Mar 15, 2010
London
Nikwax Skitostop is effective if you apply it often enough, DEET-free as well.

Which part of Venezuela and what activities will influence how often you are bitten, I'm thinking dengue fever may be a risk?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
If using a Hennessey type hammock (mossi net does not enclose hammock, but afixes to the sides), consider how to make it double layer. Either in the construction of the hammock itself, or by you lying on top of a tropical weight sleeping bag. Double layer stops bite through.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE