Morocco

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Just had a great week trekking with this guy

Oulaid, would recommend to anyone, a local guy so all your fees go to Moroccans, not midddle men, we couldnt find a trip we liked with the big players, he custom made a week to remember for us. No other connection than wanting to recommend a good guy.
76BA654E-C030-4C9A-A534-93F8D7C458FB.jpeg

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just had a great week trekking with this guy

Oulaid, would recommend to anyone, a local guy so all your fees go to Moroccans, not midddle men, we couldnt find a trip we liked with the big players, he custom made a week to remember for us. No other connection than wanting to recommend a good guy.
View attachment 73067

So where did you get to ? I've traipsed around Morocco a few times.

Redhand Jack

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2021
Devon
I'm not sure I'm brave enough to go back again, the geopolitical situation makes me uncomfortable but the thought of another coach ride through the mountains now I understand what 'inshallah' means is the real decider - plus there's plenty of other places I haven't been yet...

Reactions: Malta Convoy

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
We saw the results of quite a few head ons with full size trucks. The biggest have right of way, overtaking uphill on blind bends. Our little slow camper had a race with a fuel tanker once, with much gesticulation from the drivers assistants that we should very much not try to get past.
A Hand of Fatima on the front somewhere and you'll be fine. We had to buy insurance on entry but the port office was shut. The policeman there said we could drive to the next town inland and the next office as long as we drove slowly :)
I'd have no qualms about going back there.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
I'm not sure I'm brave enough to go back again, the geopolitical situation makes me uncomfortable but the thought of another coach ride through the mountains now I understand what 'inshallah' means is the real decider - plus there's plenty of other places I haven't been yet...
No sign of militancy here, its a calm mild Islam which dominates, and I see what you mean about roads, but India was much worse, really thought I was going to die.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Might have an opportunity for Morocco coming up, I need to research some more, don't want an unplanned movie career kicking off with a one off feature part in an unpleasant video...

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
No sign of militancy here, its a calm mild Islam which dominates, and I see what you mean about roads, but India was much worse, really thought I was going to die.

But equally there have been a reasonable amount of female tourists that have travelled through that part of the world and didn't come back.

Not ringing a chicken little bell , but its not without the occasional problem.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
But they dont reach the news.

Isnt Morocco the place with some cities known for the more Bohemian sort of exiles from Europe?

I rather suspect it might not be the locals thats the risk.

(At any rate it sounds wonderful).

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
But they dont reach the news.

Isnt Morocco the place with some cities known for the more Bohemian sort of exiles from Europe?

I rather suspect it might not be the locals thats the risk.

(At any rate it sounds wonderful).

Impressive detective work.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I've seen worse places and met worse people in the UK than I found in Morocco!

I'd probably give Algeria a miss for the moment and Tunisia isn't the safe tourist haven it used to be, but Morocco is fine if you're sensible IMO.

Reactions: rowen

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I've seen worse places and met worse people in the UK than I found in Morocco!

I'd probably give Algeria a miss for the moment and Tunisia isn't the safe tourist haven it used to be, but Morocco is fine if you're sensible IMO.

You went as a Man to these places.

I'm not a massive fan of imposing gender differences upon the world but I think your experience needs to be seen through the eyes of a Man.

Plenty of good people out there, also some bad , and some definite cultural differences.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
You went as a Man to these places.

I'm not a massive fan of imposing gender differences upon the world but I think your experience needs to be seen through the eyes of a Man.

Plenty of good people out there, also some bad , and some definite cultural differences.

My wife took a group of school kids to Morocco for a week field trip years ago - they were treated very well, looked after, and helped without question whenever needed. But, then, my wife is very aware of cultural differences and how you can both be a victim of them and use them to your advantage.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Clearly one needs to be sensible, i.e. dress in a way that is sensitive to local mores, no short shorts or vest tops, dont stand out like an obvious tourist. Yes you are not going to pass as Moroccan but wear local clothes, dont flash money about, watch where you go a
especially at night.
we did meet two women in their early thirties from London who had experienced quite a bit of sexual comment but I guess thats the deal in some countries, women have a tougher time than men, wrongly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE