More Wandering, More experiments...& More Wild Edibles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I was given some Yucca stalks yesterday... about a dozen of them. So now I have some experimenting to do.

DSC_3050.jpg

DSC_3069.jpg

I also started another hearth-board out of a Poplar limb for a "one-stick-friction-fire" experiment. I also have the other branches I cut off it for making the bow and the spindle...but I'll get to that part in a few days.

DSC_3071.jpg

DSC_3076.jpg

DSC_3081.jpg

The machete is a blur in this one but you can see how easy it is to control in the slivers I am getting thinning down the end.

DSC_3084.jpg

So...now an experimental spindle and a different hearth

DSC_3085.jpg

Then today I went back up the the area I have been exploring lately to get some other photos I needed, try out the yucca, and walk around exploring some more.The woods are already filled with the sounds of falling leaves and the Autumn colors are popping out.

DSC_3240.jpg

DSC_3230.jpg

DSC_3234.jpg

My favorite way to see poison Ivy...

DSC_3265.jpg

I still think this is a type of Sumac..

DSC_3220.jpg

DSC_3221.jpg

and I'm sure this is.

DSC_3403.jpg

DSC_3402.jpg

Different natural tinders are popping out, but I didn't see any thistle today.

DSC_3227.jpg

I found some grape vines and marked them on my map too.

DSC_3259.jpg

DSC_3257.jpg

DSC_3256.jpg

I found quite a bit more Ocoee in a few clearings.

DSC_3386.jpg

DSC_3232.jpg

DSC_3242.jpg

DSC_3254.jpg

And I stalked this hornet for a while trying to get a decent picture...but the only time he was ever still was while I was busy trying to change the file size. He's about 2 inches long, maybe a little longer and I think it's from the nest I photographed a while back as it's only about 100 meters from where I'm taking the pictures.

DSC_3297.jpg

DSC_3298.jpg

DSC_3299.jpg

I found an open area to try out the yucca. Since the new yucca spindle is so close to the same size as the Cedar spindle I have I decided to try it in the old socket in the hearth board. I also decided to take Tony's advice and thin the hearth board down some, especially considering how soft the yucca is. Man I just love how this machete handles.

DSC_3291.jpg

DSC_3293.jpg

DSC_3296.jpg

DSC_3301.jpg

DSC_3303.jpg

I got a coal after a couple of tries and readjusting my string. The yucca stalk is soft so the bow string compresses it and then the string gets too slack. Definitely ground away more of the spindle than the hearth. I really want to harvest some Basswood soon to try with this yucca.

DSC_3310.jpg

And the top of the spindle held up a lot better than I expected.

DSC_3308.jpg

After that I went wondering around exploring again. I think this is another type of night shade.

DSC_3380.jpg

Lots of Polk Berries and Autumn Olive, the birds will definitely eat well this year.

DSC_3316.jpg

DSC_3318.jpg

No idea what this is yet.

DSC_3339.jpg

DSC_3337.jpg

Some seedy scat.

DSC_3378.jpg

I found a Persimmon tree loaded with fruit...both Persimmons and Muscadines. I am definitely going back when I have more time and see if I can spot a small one or two coming up around it.

DSC_3359.jpg

DSC_3365.jpg

DSC_3371.jpg

This picture just screams Autumn is coming!

DSC_3368.jpg

And of course I had to much on a few muscadines...will be a bit before the Persimmons re ripe.

DSC_3372.jpg

Then a few shots I took just because I liked them. I was so caught up trying to focus on the spider web catching the sunlight that I didn't even notice the berries until I got home and cropped the picture.

DSC_3375.jpg

Not sure what's on these leaves.

DSC_3376.jpg

Lots of bees on the flowers. I even saw some honey bees though was never quick enough to catch them...so there is a honey tree around here somewhere.

DSC_3350.jpg

Then a shot of the moon between the trees as I was on my way back to the truck.

DSC_3397.jpg

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Excellent pictures again Mistwalker,the plant you call Ocoee we call Passiflora or Passion flower over here,my mother has loads in her garden. I see you like to stalk hornets too,rather you than me friend :pokenest: . Cheers

Darren

Superb Brian, Autumn deffo looks on it way in your part of the world.

Thanks Andy, I'm glad you enjoyed the post. Yep, Autumn is definitely on it's way and can't get here fast enough to suit me. Unfortunately it won't last long enough to suit me either. Bad thing about having just one favorite season...too much time spent wishing my life away lol.

Excellent pictures again Mistwalker,the plant you call Ocoee we call Passiflora or Passion flower over here,my mother has loads in her garden. I see you like to stalk hornets too,rather you than me friend :pokenest: . Cheers

Darren

Thanks Darren, I'm glad you liked the photos. It is Passiflora I know...but Ocoee is name given to the plant by the indigenous peoples of this area with whose blood also flows through my veins. I brought some home, going to plant some seeds and hope they take.

Yeah, I've been stalking the hornets on every trip up there...so far those are the best pics I've gotten. Lol, if you want hornets to leave you alone try capturing them in pictures. Sometimes they'll land and sit right beside me and let me observe them, but as soon as I reach for the camera they are off again. I thought at first that those yellow ones were Japanese hornets which I have heard we have here but after those blurry captures I realized the heads were brown rather than yellow and the yellow stripes aren't quite the right color or pattern and now I think they are European hornets. From what I read the European hornet's nests are usually brown on the outside...which might explain a few odd squirrel's nests I've noticed over the years. The only large hornet's nest I've found lately is colored and located like a bald faced hornet's nest but I have yet to see any inhabitants.

Excellent pictures as ever! Cheers.

Thanks Mark, I'm glad you enjoy them. I tend to take a lot of them. My old Canon resets after 10,000 files, in two years it has reset three times and is close to the fourth. But I don't use it near as much since I got the new Nikon. I take the Canon when I take Alayna because it is more compact and fits in a pocket making life easier for me...and it's also more expendable lol.

Last edited:
Lovely shots Brian, what brand Machete?

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed them.

The machete is a custom. It was designed by Andy Roy of Fiddleback Forge (Same as the Bushfinger knife I got a while back) the blade blanks are made for Andy by Imacasa and then he does the grind and the handle. He does four models, a 12in/30cm, a 14in/36cm, a 16in/41cm, and an 18in/46cm. The 12 inch, which is what I have is more of a barong blade with a long handle, the 14 and 16 are short-clipped points, and then the 18 is another drop point. The 12 inch is a little thicker than the other three models at 0.120 inches/3mm which is what I wanted. I believe the other three models are all 0.095 inch/2.5mm thick. All have the same handle though and I LOVE this handle very much. Actually I love the machete as a whole...the weight distribution, balance, handle ergonomics you name it. I love how easy it is to control, it flows like an extension of my own arm. I've done a good bit with it, I'm working on a review of it.

Great pics again Brian, the larder is definitely open

Thanks for sharing

Thanks Rich, I'm glad you enjoyed it. You know me and my love for my camera...and my knives :)

Oh yeah, I definitely enjoyed the snacking!

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Great photos as always! I really enjoy seeing the different flora you have.

Mistwalker said:
It is Passiflora I know...but Ocoee is name given to the plant by the indigenous peoples of this area with whose blood also flows through my veins. I brought some home, going to plant some seeds and hope they take.

Not sure about getting seeds to grow, but Passiflora grows well from cuttings. Might be worth a try.

Keep 'em coming!

Al

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy your posts and this one is not an exception. Great pictures, varied bushcrafty subjects and a great corner of the world that I really would love to visit.

The flora is so different from what I have in my area!

Autumn is my favourite time of the year too.

Looking forward to the next installment :p

Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE